Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this white stuff on cuke plants/yellow leaves?

Posted by Skykat 5b, IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 21:52

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and this is my very first year gardening. I bought (2) 4' x 4' raised beds that are 7" deep. They were filled with peat, bagged gardening soil, mushroom compost, perlite and organic fertilizer. I started my seeds indoors and just put them in the raised beds 9 days ago. I'm wondering white the white stuff on the stem of this cuke might be, and what might be the cause of the yellowing of the leaves? The leaves were already yellowing a bit before they were placed in the raised bed. All of my other veggies that are in the same bed (peppers and tomatos) look really healthy and happy. No noticeable critter infestation, other than a fair amount of ants. I can only come up with an overwatering or nitrogen issue but I don't have enough experience to pinpoint it. Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this white stuff on cuke plants/yellow leaves?

Another pic of yellow leaves...

o

That leaf in the second photo: I've never seen anything like that on a cucumber. Roundup damage on tomatoes bleaches out the green, but I don't know how Roundup (or other herbicide) would affect cucumber leaves.

I can't see enough of the white stuff on the stem to guess what that is.

If you don't get more definite answers here, post on the Vegetable Gardening forum.

o

Thanks. I did post in veggie growing forum too, with no hits. If by roundup you mean weed killer, it hasn't been exposed to any. Whatever it may be, it doesn't seem to be progressing rapidly.

o

• Posted by slowjane Los Angeles USDA 10- (My Page) on
    Fri, May 30, 14 at 20:53

I haven't seen that yellowing pattern either (though I'm also a beginner pretty much). I would make sure to water consistently and keep an eye on it - maybe just transplant shock of some kind? Hope it clears up!

o

There are many weedkillers besides Roundup (glyphosate), but Roundup exposure does result in pale leaf areas (on tomatoes, anyway -- but iirc, leaves affected by Roundup are also stunted). Other herbicides have different effects (twisted, malformed leaves, for instance).

But what most folks don't know is that sprayed herbicides can blow on the wind for long distances. Might not even be someone in your neighborhood!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here