Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

Red oak shavings

lowraine
14 years ago

We have lots of red oak hardwood here in NC. It is used in firewood as well as in making furniture. As a furniture maker I find that I have lots of shavings when I plane my boards to size. With all that sawdust I and many others in the field use the sawdust in our flower beds. I found myself piling it and other wood shavings all about our property, there seems to be so much. Walnut is the only wood that is tossed away. The texture of the shavings would seem to be excellent for a compost bin or a moisture barrier for a sfg. I used it in the pathway around my beds in the past month and found that it held the moisture. I put it around my strawberry plants and was surprised how well are growing. Cypress is another sawdust that I will soon have available. Would some of you give me your knowledge about using this in my sfg. I can't see the harm, it is a hardwood. I can remove any that is on the surface when I change my crop. Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to your thoughts and comments. BTW, my beans have broken through the soil.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional