Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red oak shavings

Posted by lowraine (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 22:08

We have lots of red oak hardwood here in NC. It is used in firewood as well as in making furniture. As a furniture maker I find that I have lots of shavings when I plane my boards to size. With all that sawdust I and many others in the field use the sawdust in our flower beds. I found myself piling it and other wood shavings all about our property, there seems to be so much. Walnut is the only wood that is tossed away. The texture of the shavings would seem to be excellent for a compost bin or a moisture barrier for a sfg. I used it in the pathway around my beds in the past month and found that it held the moisture. I put it around my strawberry plants and was surprised how well are growing. Cypress is another sawdust that I will soon have available. Would some of you give me your knowledge about using this in my sfg. I can't see the harm, it is a hardwood. I can remove any that is on the surface when I change my crop. Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to your thoughts and comments. BTW, my beans have broken through the soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red oak shavings

Lowraine - Thanks for the seeds! Now, to give my answer for your question....I'm assuming that you're planning on using the shavings as mulch? Here's the thing about wood shavings in the garden, and also compost pile - they rob nitrogen from their surroundings to decompose.....And they take forever to get finished. Excellent for pathways, though!

EG

o

Thanks EG for the reply. I used the shavings in front of my shop and the weeds stayed away. Your welcome to the seed. Is that the same pole bean that you plant?

o

I haven't opened the envelope yet, been really busy lately! I'll check them out sometime this week. Sadly, though....I have not available room for them this year, but will plant some in 2010!

EG

o

I have learned from here that there are many kinds of pole beans. If mine are not what you use then I think you will be very happy with them. They are to kill for. Just put the mess in a pot of water with butter and prepare to sit down and pig out. My father-in-law use to get the first mess and would never share. His reward for his labor in the garden.

o

Lowraine - you kill me with that word (mess)! For any readers that might wonder what this term means in the redneck language..."A sizeable harvest for an enjoyable meal" Ha! I can't wait to try them next year!

EG

o

Glad I was able to share, and yes "mess of collard greens" comes to mind. Years ago it was common everyday talk, long before anyone coined the word redneck. The good old days. I am sure you will find the butterbeans to be something you will come to love.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here