Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil ammendment substitutes for sfg

Posted by ldiamond guatemala (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 22:26

We are taking sfg to a group in guatemala who are very interested. No one (we've asked several nurseries and garden centers) has heard of vermiculite. They do have ground pumice from the volcanoes. Would this make a good substitute?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil ammendment substitutes for sfg

If you go to the container forum you'll find some answers, I know pumice has come up recently, but the search isn't working again at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container forum

o

Mel teaches SFG in other countries with no peat or vermiculite. He recommends diverse compost exclusively in that case. No need to buy expensive amendments. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

o

• Posted by alys Zone 6? - MO (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 14:55

You don't need vermiculite at all. My own sqft garden is purely compost, some topsoil/garden soil and a bit of sand. It grows vegetables beautifully! Mel's mix has its merits, but it isn't totally necessary for the rest of the program to work.

o

Ditto that. My last 4x4 I built was for sweet potatoes exclusively. I used straight compost. Store bought 8 bags. One was black hen. I think for this instance Mel's mix is overkill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here