Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beginnerkelli

pics of my first salad!

beginnerkelli
14 years ago

i hope i didn't harvest too early. i cut the outer leaves of each head - gourmet bibb, red sails, and romaine in the bottom right corner. the pic was taken pre-cutting.

i topped the salad with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and pine nuts. i even ate the viola! yummy!

Comments (14)

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

beginnerkelli, that's one gorgeous salad, and the pictures are pretty too! I'm glad you had the nerve to eat the viola...I promise I'll try one with my next salad, I planted some violas today :-)

I like mine with walnuts, dried cranberries and balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing sweetened with a bit of sugar or honey.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• crystabel
    14 years ago

It's so fun to be able to go out to the garden and harvest a meal! :) Looks pretty too :) .

• estreya
    14 years ago

What a fantastic job! I just love these photographs. I love everything about them, including the aesthetics of the photographs themselves. They seem so exuberant! Congratulations.

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you all for the kind words! =)

granny- you were the inspiration behind this salad. when i saw the pics of yours with the flowers i said "i want to do that!" mmmm i loooove dried cranberries, would have used them if my sweetie didn't eat them all that morning! =)

Here is a link that might be useful: my animal-friendly eating blog

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

beginnerkelli, If I want to keep up with you, I'll have to get some prettier plates! I might be heading to Goodwill to see if I can find some single pretty ones ;-)

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

granny, that's where i get my plates! =)

happy mother's day!

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Beginnerkelli, that's always a good place to look if you only want a few pretty plates in different patterns. I've always advised dieters to go there and buy small, pretty plates for their meals. It's so much nicer (and more satisfying) to eat a full plate of food from a small attractive plate than a ton of food from a big dinner plate!

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

beginnerkelli - nice presentation, and congrats on your first harvest!

EG

• amy_veggies
    14 years ago

What a pretty salad! I just transplanted my lettuces into the garden (I didn't start from seed - last year they didn't work out), and they already look like I should be trimming the outer ones. I'm worried it's too soon. Is there a rule about when you can start harvesting the outer leaves?

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Amy_veggies, when you just can't stand to wait any longer, pick and enjoy! I say any leaf that gets near 3" long is fair game. Sometimes I can't even wait that long ;-)

Granny

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

granny, that's great advice for dieters. you inspired me (once again!) to go to my local thrift store this morning and i picked up some really cute plates and flower pots, all for $1 each. can't wait to show them off =)

• amy_veggies
    14 years ago

Thanks, AnniesGranny! They're over 3 inches for sure. I couldn't resist and clipped a bit - had a HUGE bowl of salad.

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

and thank you EG and amy!

amy, isn't a homegrown salad the best!? i clipped mine a few days ago and you should see how much they have grown in just 3 days! i'm going to have another big salad tomorrow night! i'll post another pic if it looks pretty =)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?