Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_devito

what to plant now?

Holly DeVito
14 years ago

I have some empty boxes opening up and I don't know what to plant in them. I planted two squares of eggplant last week, but I still have about 5 empty boxes that will be available this week, my lettuce and spinach are done. I don't have room for anything that I have to trellis, it will shade everything too much.

Comments (10)

• jengc
    14 years ago

I am thinking the same thing. I think I am done until August/Sept. You might have to wait longer. Not sure of your zone. I just planted some corn yesterday though. I heard I am barely in that window.

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 9. I got some eggplant seedlings, some peppers and some oregano. I already had planted some eggplant by seed, so hopefully this way, they'll be done at different times.

• momma_s
    14 years ago

I got the link below from someone else on GW, and it seems to be pretty accurate.

If you can find some seedlings, you still have a few good options. I saw some decent looking cantaloupe, and larger tomato seedlings at OSH this weekend.

Oh, and if you're in/near the city, I bet the Berkley Horticulture Nursery will have a great selection for you. I haven't been there personally, but I see ads on craigslist all the time, and I've heard great things about their plants.

Don't leave the boxes all lonely n' stuff for so long!!! Plant something! ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: what to grow in zone 9

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

I have the same dilemma. It's not that I don't know what I CAN plant now, it's that I have everything I can possibly use already growing. What is being removed now (lettuce, spinach, radishes) can't be replaced for a while because of the heat, and I really don't need any more beets, carrots, green beans and such. It seems a shame to leave the spaces empty, but maybe it's just a good time to work in some compost, give the soil a rest and let nearby plants spread out a bit more.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that's my problem, Granny! I have everything that I want planted, but I don't want the empty boxes sitting there. oh well, I planted the eggplants and peppers, hopefully I'll get enough out of what I have now with out the critters eating them!

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

holldoll, we could use the empty squares for trench composting. It doesn't take long for stuff to break down in the heat, and it's a great way to add compost to the garden. Just bury your kitchen scraps in the empty squares.

Granny

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a good idea! I'll try that with my September planting!

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Granny, I'm pulling my celery, it's bolting, to do the trench composting, I literally just put my kitchen scraps under the dirt? My boxes are only 6" deep, is that deep enough to bury them?

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Holldoll, that's what I did last year, but my beds are 12" deep. My only problem was that I sprouted a couple of lovely sweet potatoes (they got removed and potted...they were gorgeous) and I have one persistent potato that still keeps sprouting this year. It won't heat up like a compost pile, so you have to be careful about putting in weeds and seeds, but general kitchen waste works well and draws the worms in to the garden.

Granny

• Holly DeVito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I have a pile that I was going to put in the compost, I'll put it in the box!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals