Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

How much sun is enough?

lowraine
14 years ago

I prepared my sfg space knowing I would have to deal with a sun issue. I of course had plenty of sun during the spring but gradually as the trees filled out my sun became less. As of this week it looks like about 3 to 4 hours of full sun maybe my best. I have all the normal crops planted. What can I expect from these crops?

Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, green peppers, green beans and butterbeans.

Comments (20)

• gardener_sandy
    14 years ago

Where are you? Sun in the south is different from sun in the north and the hours required vary. The crops you mention all need lots of sunshine and may not produce with the limited amount they will get in your garden.

Is there any way you can increase the light exposure? Can you thin the trees some? Can you put some kind of fence on the side of the garden with the most sun and add a reflective surface to increase the light?

Years ago I tried to grow tomatoes in an area similar to your sun exposure and all I got were tomato trees. They grew tall and lush and had no fruit.

Good luck.
    Sandy

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Lowraine - I really feel for you. As Sandy stated, none of your crops are gonna get the sunshine they need to thrive. Your only option is to remove some foliage that is shading everything.

EG

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

You shouldn't expect much from these crops with that amount of sun.

Dan

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What is the least amount of sun in hours? It would be too costly to remove the large oak trees, maybe a couple of smaller ones could be possible.

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Every plant needs a varying amount, but I understand s good rule of thumb is 6-8 hours. May be tough with your shade. Maybe greens?

• kaptainkr
    14 years ago

Here's my thoughts. If the plants were to grow on a trellis would they receive more sun? Right now my cuke seedlings only get about 6 hours but as they begin to climb the trellis they'll get at least 8. Same with tomatoes. The other thing is that you may want to try growing some things in containers. I've never had much luck growing peppers, so this year I built self watering containers and placed them in full sun. I'm also trying all my determinate tomatoes this way. They will get at least 10 hours a day.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW container gardening forum

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Lowraine, 6 hours minimum on the solonaceous crops.

EG

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks EG, I am trimming some of the trees today and as someone else said, the plants that go up the trellis will get additional sun. I will move somethings to containers.

• crystabel
    14 years ago

I had to Google that word EG! LOL

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

Lowraine, yeah....that will work much better for you.

crystabel - I like big words, as you can tell...heh.

EG

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been sun watching today and it appears that I have at least 5 1/2 hours of full sun, not sure about the morning, I am not an early riser. Let's hope the sun hit the garden before I did. I will rise earlier the rest of the week so I will know. Wish my garden luck guys, at this point I will be happy with 6 and hope for more as the summer goes along.

• ditnc
    14 years ago

Lowraine, I have the same problem. I built my raised beds where I thought I had the most sun in my back yard, but with the trees filled out, it's only getting about 3 hours of sun per day. My Early Girls have 2 baby tomatoes and no more flowers, and one Roma has two babies. No one else other than the cuke and summer squash have blooms, and the plants that do have blooms are very small compared to friends'. I have one massive oak that they want over $1K to cut down and the rest which block the sun are my neighbors', so....

Anyway, I planted a few tomatoes by the front porch which will be an eyesore soon, but I don't care, I want some home grown 'maters! I also put some in containers in the deck which gets and hour or so of more sun, but that was just last week. They may not get to bloom before the temps get too high.

I feel your pain. I guess I need to move to a new place that has better sun exposure!!!! I find myself noticing sun exposure everywhere I go know and envying those who have ample of it!

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Hmm, a huge oak tree. Sounds like you were being taken with that quote. Of course if it were we'll pay you $1000 for the tree, that would be possible.

• ditnc
    14 years ago

They basically didn't want the liability of cutting the tree so they priced it way high. It's VERY close to my house (and the neighbor's) and it's huge.

Anyway, since it looks like I am in fact growing "tomato trees" as someone mentioned before from lack of sun, all I can say is thank God for the Farmer's Market! I have tomato fever and cannot wait for delicious homemade salsa and tomato sandwiches.

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Sinfonian, it cost us over $1200 to have this maple tree removed from our back yard. Even after the wind did half the job!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• luke3026
    14 years ago

It's a double-edged sword. In our case, we don't have a stitch of shade anywhere in our backyard. This is great for the plants and means 8-10+ hours of sun in the summer. But it also makes it miserable for us humans to hang out back there in the heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

• nsomniak6
    14 years ago

Oh I feel your pain! The exact thing is happening to me. Some much work for pretty much nothing. I am going to watch another area of my yard and see how much sun goes there. I am so bummed. This the only hobby I have and I can only do so much physically.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seems that I am not alone in my quest for more sunlight. What is the thought on reflective sunlight? Mel mentions it in his first book. I am not ready to give up yet. If I could put something on the open areas that would reflect the sun back onto the plants I could give them more sun. BTW, the five hours of sun that I get is the middle of the day. That is good hot sun.

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Maple is a step up from useless. Oak on the otherhand is expremely valuable. The type of wood and size of the tree. Sorry for the OT.

Just about every yard has light issues. I wouldn't buy a house without good garden space now. I just lucked out since I didn't garden when I bought the house. Hehe

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Of course, not having shade trees on the house means exorbitant electric bills in the summer, and slightly higher heating bills in the winter, in addition to the lack of greenery contributing to the lower attention restoration and lower property values as well.

Dan

Sponsored