Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Raised Bed Positioned Against Foundation

bobby1973
9 years ago

Hi folks - I'm interested in building a raised bed similar to the one shown in the attached photo. I typically see raised beds situated away from the house. I'm actually interested in positioning my raised bed directly against the foundation at the rear of the house. I'm just curious, does anyone see any potential problems with this idea? (such as drainage issues, etc).

I thought it would look cool to perhaps add two trellis structures to the ends of the 8' raised bed and allow the trellises to lean up against the back of house.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks so much!

Comments (2)

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

I have mine set up along the side of my house so I can attest that you should be fine. The only issue I ran into was the run off from the roof would actually cut a line down through the soil because of the force it came off the sloped roof. I do not have a gutter on that side of my house, so that was the issue. I could have easily fixed the issue by adding a gutter, but instead I opted to build a trellis that runs parallel to the home along the exact drip line of the roof so that the drip actually hits the wood on the trellis and then runs slowly down from there. No more issues. The only down side to being a long any building or wall is the fact that it may block some sun.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome! Thank you.

Sponsored