Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustycage_gw

My SFG Garden Bed

rustycage
18 years ago

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have learned a lot of valuable information just reading the posts. I just harvested the first spinach from my bed the other day. I sauteed it in a little olive oil with some garlic salt. It was awesome.

Here are some shots of my two 4X4 beds. The uprights in the rear of the bed will be where I will be installing trellis material for the climbing plants.. The bed on the left was just planted last weekend, so the plants haven't settled in yet. The one on the right was planted several weeks ago and is doing quite well.

{{gwi:1275287}}

{{gwi:1275289}}

{{gwi:1275291}}

Comments (11)

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Very nice, Rustycage. You did a great job and the plants look great, too.

• rustycage
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Donna. It has been a lot of fun. I look forward to expanding the garden next year with a 4X12 bed behind these two.

• monika1
    18 years ago

Hey, great garden, your deep beds are very much like mine. I did the same thing with the string. Great idea to color the boards. Isn't square foot gardening fun?

• Riff
    18 years ago

Wow, I like the blue! Makes me want to paint my regular pine beds. Is that wood or something else?

Your garden sure looks nice, but I can't help being distracted by the background -- I have a fantasy of buying 40 acres in WV as a place to "get away from it all"! Probably never will, but it's fun to dream.

--Riff (who lives too close to Washington D.C.)

• michele325
    18 years ago

I love your view too. Your beds look great.

• rustycage
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Riff,
    Yes, those are just pine boards from Lowes. One bed is eight inches deep and the the other is ten. I painted the outsides and top of the boards. The insides of the beds are lined with heavy black plastic.

I would love to have 40 acres too, but I've only got about 2.5. It is however only about 90 miles outside of DC. :)

rusty

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Any pics for this year Rusty?

• rustycage
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi violet_z6,

Here are some 2006 photos we took today. The bed on the left has cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli and green bell peppers. The one on the right has two onions(left over bulbs from last year), jalapeno peppers, golden bell peppers, carrots, bush green beans, climbing lima beans and cucumbers. The two pots on the left are left-over pepper plants and the two in the center are tomatoes.

The tomatoes are sort of an experiment. If they don't produce that's okay. I just ran out of space and didn't have time to build the other bed this year.

{{gwi:1275293}}

{{gwi:1275294}}

{{gwi:1275296}}

• swampboogiequeen
    17 years ago

Are those T posts you're using?

• rustycage
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, not T posts. It is just 2x2 lumber that I used on the corners of the beds. I made them four feet long in the back of the beds. The one on the right has some screws in it so that I could stretch nylon garden netting on it for the limas to climb. In hindsight, they should have been taller to provide more space.

• ageratum
    17 years ago

I'm baffled and sure hope some of you can help me. I know this is a little tedious, but sure would appreciate your advice. I've looked through the past posts and haven't seen this problem addressed before.
    I am just getting my beds set up and filling with Mel's mix. The beds are 3x3x10, which I calculate to be 7.5 cu.ft. per bed. For convenience, I rounded to 8 cu.ft. and figured how much of each ingredient I needed to fill 3 of the beds. Of course, it came to 8 cu. ft. so I bought 2 bags of vermiculite (4 cu ft each), 8 bags of compost (1 cu ft each), and 1 bale of peat moss (3.9 cu ft which, as I understand it, should expand to 8 cu ft). Only - here's my problem - the mix filled only 2 beds - NOT 3! There was enough left over for maybe 1/4 of a third bed, but certainly not enough to fill it!
    Where did I go wrong? Did I make a math error? Has anyone else experienced this? Except for the expense of it, I really wouldn't be too concerned, but I find I'm spending more than I want to on this project! I know I'll be embarrassed if I've made some glaring error, but tell me anyway!
    Thanks in advance,
    ageratum

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022