Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pestilence - Mint

Posted by yrdling 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 0:42

I think it is caterpillars. I didn't see the caterpillar when I took the picture of the black specks on my mint plant, but I noticed it when editing the pictures. There are big holes in many of the mint leaves, and nasty looking black spots on the leaves and stems. Caterpillar poo, maybe?

I'm pretty sure that's a caterpillar in the third picture. Can anyone confirm my conjecture and tell me how to deal with this pest?

Mint holes

Nasty stuff on my mint

Bug poo on my mint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pestilence - Mint

That certainly looks like a cut worm (caterpillar) to me and your dark spots look like cut worm fecal material.

I don't like to use insecticides on my vegetables so I just examine my plants regularly and when I see damage like you have, I pick the little buggers off the plants and feed them to my chickens. If I didn't have chickens I'd smash them.

o
RE: Pestilence - Mint

The cut worms are so tiny, and so hard to see. I don't want to use insecticides either, but yesterday evening after I posted this, I made a spray that I found on the net and sprayed the plant with it. I don't know if it will kill cut worms.

I mixed up a tablespoon of liquid dish soap in a cup of vegetable oil, then put a bit less than a tablespoon of this mixture into a cup of water. I put it in a sprayer bottle, shook it up, and sprayed it on the plant.

I don't know if that will do the trick, but I don't see the worm right now.

I will be sure to wash the plant leaves thoroughly before making myself a mint julep! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here