Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Broccoli seedlings near tomatoes? Transition to fall crops

kristimama
14 years ago

Hi folks,

Hope all your summer gardens are going well. I'm really having a lot of success this year and it's so gratifying being able to feed my kids homegrown organic produce.

I'm starting to think about fall crops and unsure how to transition the garden, since my summer crops will still be in full growth when I am supposed to be planting broccoli, brussels sprouts and peas. I have a 4'x8' bed that currently has tomatoes and carrots in it (half on one side and half on the other). In September, when the carrots are harvested, I was planning on putting my broccoli seedlings. But I just did some reading about companion planting and it said absolutely you cannot plant brassicas anywhere near tomatoes or peppers. If that's really the case, I'd have to wait until the summer garden is kaput in October before I can plant things, which means I might miss out on having a fall crop.

I think I also saw that it said you can't plant peas near tomatoes.

My summer garden is packed, almost every single inch in production. Zukes, melons, winter squashes, pole beans, carrots, peppers... and for the most part these could (theoretically, if all goes well with no pests, PM, etc) still be alive and productive through October. Right?

Can someone who has gardened "year round" fill in the blanks for me how you add in new crops when others are in full production?

And FWIW, for fall crops I'd like to set out broccoli, brussels sprouts, peas. I was thinking once the summer crops are done I could also set out kale, chard, spinach, and lettuce to grow through our mild winter.

Thanks,

KristiMama

Comments (10)

• Holly DeVito
    14 years ago

I'm wondering about the same thing. I have my peppers scattered through out the garden and won't really have anywhere the broccoli can go.

• daves_girl
    14 years ago

For what it's worth, I am a newbie gardener this year... I planted broccoli 1 square away from one of my tomato plants, and in another box I had broccoli one square away from a pepper plant. I planted marigolds in the square between them. All grew beautifully, and the broccoli produced very large heads, followed by several successions of small florettes.

Kym

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Riotte's Carrots Love Tomatoes is my standard ref, and she states all brassica repel tomatoes (2nd Ed. pg 25). I don't know personally as I've never done it, as she sez not to.

Dan

• kristimama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Dan, I have seen that same book, too. I made a mental note of it, but of course now I'm coming down to planning my fall garden and I'm thinking, hey, the tomatoes are established. They're playing nice over in their own section of the bed. A little itty bitty old brocolli seedling isn't gonna do any harm, right? (Can you say "denial"?)

But I'm probably going to try it anyway... the broccoli seedling just needs to get in the ground to get established in mid September, and then in October I'll be yanking the tomatoes and it will probably be OK for a couple weeks of overlap. Or so I am telling myself. :-)

• shawnann
    14 years ago

Ok so this is only my second year veg gardening and I did not know this information.
    Why is it so bad to put brassicas next to tomatoes and peppers?
    Cause at least 3 of my beds have tomatoes or peppers in squares right next to broccoli/cabbage/cauli. Everything seems to be growing well, though I may be a bit behind that is my fault. But the tomatoes have blooms, the brassica plants are large though have not produced yet.
    So anyways, I am just curious why it is said not to plant them together?
    Thanks and happy gardening!

My Garden Blog

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Yesterday I cut a beautiful little (2 pounds trimmed) cabbage from next to the most productive tomato plant of 24 or so in my garden. There is still a big ole cauliflower growing on the other side of it. I grew broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower in front of an entire row of tomatoes with no problems. The only thing I've noticed competing in my garden are the nasturtiums...they're getting so huge I've had to pull a few to keep them from smothering other crops. Oh, the peppers planted next to the beets are not growing as well as all the other peppers, and the carrots growing next to my determinate tomatoes were eaten to the ground by (earwigs?).

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• susancol
    14 years ago

My resolution to this problem was to designate some parts of my garden to my long season summer crops. And other parts of the garden to short season spring/fall crops. So in the heat of the summer, there may be a few squares empty between the time that my spring crops bolt and the time I plant the fall crops. Maybe you could squeeze in a quick crop of bush beans in between, but otherwise I've just resigned myself to it laying fallow for a month or two. The only other option is to sacrifice some summer plants for fall ones, and that seemed a waste to me.

• daylilyfanatic4
    14 years ago

hi, I just want to say that I have broccoli right in front of a tomato plant and there both doing fine. as long as shading isn't a problem and each plant has enough room to groe don't worry.

• heather38
    14 years ago

I have also been contemplating my fall garden, and had the same problem spring to summer, I am going to tackel it in a couple of ways (I planted my toms and peppers when small, in amongst peas, and they are fine).
    at the start for fall transplanting/sowing the plants will be small, so could you plant say 4 broccoli in 1 square then transfer later? don't know, but it maybe worth a try, I am going to try this method and see how it goes, I will also sacrific the weedier specimins of spring plants to make room. because I know how mad I will be with myself, after the first frost and I have very little to continue with.
    Due to this, I also have now, 2 new raised beds, one is mainly summer stuff and the other fall/winter and I will reverse the beds next year...that's the plan?? and I am hopeing to be more organised next year and sow green manure on the fallow parts, so I am with anniesgranny on that one.
    I have also learnt an important lesson! how are me and 1 small son going to eat our way through 10 tom plants, if they all produce? DH and other son can't stand the stuff.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Heather,

That is a great problem to have!

Here are some suggestions:
    * give away some to friends and family that don't have a garden, but love tomatoes!
    * freeze some as tomato sauce (will taste better than store bought tomatoes for the same purpose later)
    * can as tomato sauce, tomato juice, or even salsa. This will give you about a year to use it up!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor