Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mole got into raised bed - recommended solutions for next year?

Posted by estreya Southwest Washington (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 2:02

Greetings everyone!

This is my first year with raised square foot garden beds. Each day, they delight and teach me many new things, though for the past two days, they've frustrated me no end. You see, a mole got underneath and into one of the beds, uprooting my tender shoots and leaving those horrible dirt mounds in their place.

I know it's too late to attempt any preventative measures this year. For next year, what kind of material should i line the beds with to prevent the moles from accessing the dirt? I'm thinking the openings on chicken wire are too large ... would nylon netting work? Can i get a small but strong grid pattern in a wire mesh of some kind?

Any advise would be deeply appreciated.

I'm not giving up! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mole got into raised bed - recommended solutions for next yea

Contractor's mesh I think it's called. 1/4th inch holes and made of steel. Sturdy stuff.

Sorry they disturbed your beds. That sucks. My moles are confined to my front yard for the moment. My beds may not be protected with landscape fabric and 3 inches of gravel.

Good luck and don't give up. Coons have raided my bed just as bad. Let it be a lesson.

o

Ask for "hardware cloth" it's a wire mesh as described above. Comes in different size openings, I think half-inch will work.

Nylon might get chewed by the varmit. From your description it sounds like a gopher.

o

Thank you very much, you two. This is exactly what i needed to know. I'll look for hardware cloth/contractors mesh in my local hardware stores next Spring.

o

At our home depot in the same area as the chicken wire they have other materials with different sized openings. Some of our beds are not lined at the moment because dh insisted that the gopher did not come to the area where the beds are. Well, they do because last year they came up into the pumpkins and eggplants. The chicken wire should be fine though. All of our trees are planted in cages made out of chicken wire. We can see where the gophers have run into the chicken wire and have needed to redirect themselves (this was only after losing 2 Austrian Pines, 2 apple and 2 cherry trees). Now we also make it a point to poison the little varmints.

o

estreya,

Hardware cloth on the bottom, poultry wire on top. Take no prisoners!

Fast forward to 45 seconds in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA&fmt=18

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA&fmt=18

o

A shotgun or slingshot is very effective as well!

o

a bbgun will work wonders!! ;'> my son has killed 3 rabbits so far ;')

o

try this:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here