Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing veggies to grow.

Posted by jose404 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 2:32

I am very new to gardening and I wanted to know how late is to late to start my summer garden. If it isn't too late to start my garden which veggies grow best in the summer on my zone which is zone 9b. I also wanted to know how to get a continuos harvest of veggies instead of just one bulk harvest. Also one more thing, when summer is over will I need to pull out my plants to start my fall garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing veggies to grow.

From one 9b to another, it's not too late to start if you are starting with plants rather than seeds. Summer veggies are tomatoes, peppers, okra, green beans, melons, squash, and more. Yes, you will have to pull stuff to make room for fall vegetables. My problem last year was that the summer vegetables kept on producing, so I didn't want to pull them out. You could plant the fall vegetables, which should be planted in late summer between the summer veggies, but then you would cut off the summer veggies when they're done rather than pull them. If you pulled them, you would disturb the roots of the fall veggies.

For more information, check out your local Master Gardener website. They would have information on what grows in your particular location. If you don't have a local MG group, our website has info. uccemg.org

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here