Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
royfokker_gw

Finding non-toxic compost in NJ

royfokker
13 years ago

I had trouble finding local compost sources, the best I could find was: Scotts Premium Humus and Manure

This is what says on their webpage under Details and Uses:

"Active Ingredients

Contains: organic materials (peat, composted forest products, aged rice hulls, or compost), composted manure, pelleted poultry litter."

This post was gonna ask if that was good enough compost, but after reading that I know it must be returned.

According to the Documentary: A River of Waste: the Hazardous Truth about Factory Farms

American poultry are fed poisionous deadly, arsenic to make them grow faster and their manure contains it in high doses as well. The manure from chickens spread in one Arkansas town very near their school led to a high incidence of cancer.

I have a compost pile I have had for a while, but I never knew you had to constantly mash and mix it up for it compost quickly and it will take too long for it to be ready, I already missed so much time.

I know a neighboring town Randolph has compost available but you have to be a resident to get it and I am not. But I doubt municipality compost is any good either, since it is probably loaded with pesticides, herbicides and fertilizer residues from the lawns of jackass residents who must have the "perfect lawn".

What do you guys think about municipality compost?

Does anyone know where to get manure in my area, a chain store, or anywhere else?

Comments (4)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

What do you guys think about municipality compost?

Our thoughts are on a recent thread about this topic on the organic forum.

And I'd ask if the arsenic levels are measurable, and tell us what the levels are.

Dan

• royfokker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found that thread you were talking about:
    Organic Gardening Forum: Risk using city dump compost?

And I also found this on chicken manure contaminating agricultural lands:
    Arsenic In Chicken Production
    "Chicken manure introduces huge quantities of arsenic to agricultural fields. According to Donald L. Sparks, professor of marine studies at the University of Delaware, poultry litter is spread on land at the rate of 9 to 20 metric tons per hectare. Each year, he estimates, 20 to 50 metric tons of roxarsone in chicken litter is applied to fields on the Delmarva Peninsula, a region that includes parts of Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia."

"A group led by Johns Hopkins' Silbergeld analyzed arsenic in tap water on the Delmarva Peninsula. It found higher levels of arsenic in areas where chicken litter is spread on fields and lower levels in areas where chicken manure is not spread. The research was reported at the Society of Toxicology meeting in late March."

I found this on testing:
    Arsenic in Poultry Litter: Organic Regulations
    "To find out how much arsenic is in the poultry litter that you intend to use, have your soil or manure testing laboratory check your litter samples for arsenic (it may be listed on the soil test request form by its chemical symbol, As). You can ask for this test when you submit your litter for the standard analysis of plant-available nutrients. Depending on the laboratory, the test for arsenic will be labeled either as "arsenic" or as "total recoverable metals," where arsenic is one of several metals analyzed. A soil test for arsenic will range from $5 to $20 per sample, depending on whether you are using a state or private soil testing laboratory."

But I don't have the time or inclination to get the Scotts Premium Humus and Manure tested, I would rather just return it to be on the side of caution. I figure that municipal compost has to be a better option.

• precioushoney
    13 years ago

You know I grew up in a small town in MI and my mom always had access to manure. Horse, cow whatever she could get her hands on it.

Now that I am in the suburbs of Detroit im wondering where I am going to get my hands on some manure. (havent gotten around to composting yet)

Anyway, try Craigslist. I was able to find a few sorces of manure for cheap that I will check out in the fall. Give craigslist a try and maybe you can find something in your area. Just try and make sure its aged

• phantom_white
    13 years ago

I get free compost (manure, hay, a little sand, and a tiny bit of chicken litter) from a local stockyard. If you have a stockyard near you just ask if you can have some. The stuff I get is HEAVILY aged.

Abby

Sponsored