Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scvdsr

raised bed over a brick patio

scvdsr
14 years ago

I have a large brick patio that is never used and I wanted to make a raised veggie garden on it(for next year. The spot sits in the sun all day and can be hooked into the sprinkler system with ease. I have two questions: Does this sound like a good idea? And if so, and how deep should I make the beds?

Thanks

Comments (16)

• jengc
    14 years ago

I have a friend that has her raised beds on concrete. I thought it would burn them but they are just thriving! I am pretty sure they put a plywood bottom on it (with holes for drainage). I think that is a wonderful idea. I am toying with the idea of making one on my drive way since it is the last place I have that is level and not shaded. But not sure if I can find a spot that isnt in the path to the garage and in full sun.

• scvdsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you know how deep the beds are?

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

I would suggest a landscape fabric barrier under your beds if you have weeds or grass growing between the bricks. You don't need a plywood bottom, though it'll work if you want it.

As for depth, it is the same question asked here countless times. You'll get the same answers. 6 inches is fine, but root crops oe deep rooted plants may benefit from more (can build that section up temporaily). To build higher costs more but most that do it are happy. I am one of those, but my brother swears by 6 inch beds.

Do whatever fits your needs and budget. Good luck and enjoy.

• scvdsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know the 6 inch..but I though that was over a soil base not brick. The plants will not be rooting through brick.

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

What are you planning on planting? Lettuce, most greens, bunching onions, most herbs will be ok with 6". Beans or cukes maybe ok with 6" but would be better with 8" or more. I don't think summer squash would grow well in less than 8" depth and better with deeper.

If you are planning on tomatoes, you need alot deepper, you may want to look into self watering containers instead. You may want to take a look over at the container gardening forum, there is a lot of info on how deep containers should be for different plants.

Good gardening, Mary

• scvdsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary - Was planning on tomatoes, beans, cukes, lettuce, strawberries, carrots, peppers, zucinnie. I'll look in the other forum.

As far as drainage i was going to let it drain on the patio very sandy soil here, so the patio drains well.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Are the bricks mortared in place, or merely laid next to each other?

If the latter, I would suggest the following:

1) Carefully break down the patio.

2) Lay down cardboard or newspaper to provide a weed block on the bottom of your bed.

3) Reuse the bricks to form the raised bed (6 inches is all that is required now for certain!). This MAY not provide all the bricks you need, but it will certainly give you a good headstart. (You should only need 3 maybe 4 courses of brick. btw, place the bricks double wide, with an alternating pattern...you can mortar them, or just dry stack them. A dry stack will definitely improve drainage, if your ground ever gets oversaturated.)

4) Fill with mix.

You will have created a very nice looking raised bed, which should last a lifetime (you may need to rebuild the brick wall after several years or so). In addition, you can grow ANYTHING in that bed, depth will NOT be an issue. The first year, the roots would need to work a little harder to break through the cardboard/newspaper, but the second year, they are gone! If you have a good base soil, there will be trace elements available to your plants that MAY not be in your mix. The plants would then have access to them, regardless of the mix you add. BTW, I recommend fertilizing even if you continue to add compost every year. Continue to have your soil tested, or just add a balanced (organic or not, is up to you) fertilizer, that includes trace minerals like calcium, etc. (Garden's Alive! has some very nice products that are completely organic.)

Well, that's what I would do, if I were you! But, its your yard, and your decision. This way would certainly keep costs down, recycle and give your plants access to a much deeper supply of water and nutrients!

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

Picturing myself harvesting tomatoes like coconuts was the best laugh I've had all day. I've done a lot of things in the name of gardening, but that's not going to be one of them. Thanks sqftsteve.

• scvdsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love that idea of using the bricks thanks...I'll do that

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

I'm glad you like the idea. I did this with the front beds of my house. It took about 4 hours to put the bricks in place (I only did 2 courses), since I wasn't concerned with the depth of the bed, but just making it look "neat".

The bricks have been disrupted often (because my son likes to look for "buggies" under them), but I can put them back in place very easily! It's been three years and the ones that haven't been touched yet by my son, haven't needed to be adjusted at all!

• mcphreak
    14 years ago

Here's my raised bed over concrete.

The sides were made from recycled floor joists and sits approximately waist high. 2 years now and now problems with rotting yet. There are no real drainage holes on the bottom. Because the ground is a little slanted, water can seep out of the cracks between the boards and the concrete. Anyway, I think you'll be fine making one on your patio.

• scvdsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was my original idea. But I'm leainng to ripping up the brick where needed and worst care buying other ones as needed to complete the bed

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

I like eaglesgarden's idea, wish I had thought of that. I think that would solve all your problems and give you great looking garden beds. If you wanted more depth than the bricks alone give, you could use cinder blocks and top them with the bricks. It sounds like you have exciting project ahead of you, have fun.

Good gardening, Mary

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

why do I want to go "Quack!" every time I look at that watering can???

• scvdsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary

Withe the bricks gone depth will not be an issue. My original plan was to go right over the bricks. I know tomatoes need depth, thus my original question. But now it shall not be an issue. :)

Sponsored