Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mel's mix very loose, must stake the squash

Posted by engineeredgarden 7, nw Alabama (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 9:46

Well, yesterday - the little storm that came thru blew all of my yellow squash plants over onto their side, so I had to add stakes to keep them in place. Man, this mel's mix just isn't able to hold the large plants up at all. But, it sure does grow things well. As this whole sfg, and mel's mix is new to me - i'll be better prepared for next year. The stakes will go into place as soon as the small plants emerge from seed. I'm anticipating having to stake my okra also, as soon as it gets larger. Just wanted to share the info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mel's mix very loose, must stake the squash

Okra will root down a bit more so you may escape needing to stake them. For your squash, though I don't know how far over they fell, my squash usually straighten themselves out after getting pushed around.

o

Thanks for the reply Ray. One of the squash plants had the main stem get damaged a little bit - like a tear, or rip. But, it seems to be recovering nicely. I'm glad I added the stakes, that way no more damage can be done.

o

For my squashes, I'm using upside down tomato cages (sharp points trimmed off the top) for support and so that I can use vertical space as much as possible.

I have also read on here that broccoli benefits from some support in SFG.

o

Kristi - the upside down tomato cage thing sounds like a good plan for the summer squash. I'll probably try that next year. Thanks. I also plan on growing broccoli later, that's good info, as well

o

this is why you grow squash up a trellis that is made of 1/2" electrical conduit. I have grown all kinds of squash for 9 or 10 years and it has never blown over. Now, corn did-and there is a simple fix to prevent that...but, brocolli? Never had a problem with that before and I have grown that for many years as well....theres no question about it, this mix is definitley loose and friable...

o

My regards to your squash - glad to hear they'll be okay though. I sympathize... we had a huge rain the other day and it pelted my nicest tomato. It was staked, but apparently not enough - half the plant (the half with the blooms) completely snapped in half :( Lessons learned by a first year gardener...

o

Hey Snibb, I'm doing most of my squash up a trellis, but my zuke and a yellow squash, they're inside a bed (not near a trellis) planted 1 per 9 squares, and I realized they'd still benefit from being up off the soil (for air circulation, pests, etc) and that I could interplant smaller things around the plant if I used the cage to get the leaves growing up.

I got the idea from a neighbor who, though he's never read any book on gardening or SFG (he's almost 70, from the "old country") he's got a stunning very intensive garden in a few 4x8 beds that gives him all his produce year round.

Anyway, hope your plants recover.
-k

o

Thanks everybody, this has been a very productive thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here