Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwik1

What happend to my potatoes?

kwik1
14 years ago

I built a potato bin and have had amazing success with the vigorous growth of my potatoes to this point. I am already up to my last board; however, over the last 2 days all of the stalks have severly wilted and appear to be dying. I have flower blooms on the pants, but think it is way to early for this to be happening. Anyone have any thoughts?

Just FYI - we have had a very wet and relatively cool sprint, summer here in Denver and just got a stretch of hot days this week.....

Comments (9)

• rlkennerly
    14 years ago

Mine are doing the same thing, so I'm glad someone else asked. I'll be interested to see what input you get.

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Some of my potatoes are starting to bloom too. I have a couple plants that have been looking wilty but I think they just needed a drink. I'm starting to have to water a little more now. This week is going to be a hot one!! Other than that, I have no idea.

Have you found the Rocky Mtn Gardening forum yet? I think it's a helpful group, especially for our region.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• kwik1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I posted a similar question in the Rocky Mtn forum as well; however, no responses as of yet. Was hoping Sinfonian or others who have been engaged in lengthly discussions with respect to potato bins may have some insight.

• keski
    14 years ago

One of my seeds got a wilted stem. I pulled it out and it had obviously rotted. The others in the same square are fine. Here is a link from Ohio State about black leg. ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3106.html

Keski

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Depending where you are, it could be too much watering, or the natural maturing process. Potatoes have formed if you see blooms.

My adivice would be to quit watering for a while if you have been "overwatering" to compensate for the sickly plants. They will either bounce back from too much water, or they'll die back. If they die, cover them for a few weeks to harden the skins and harvest!

I say depending where you are because in my area they are definitely not ready yet.

Good luck and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• rlkennerly
    14 years ago

Well, I think i figured out why one of my taters wilted. I saw a wilted plant and dug it up. As I was digging I pulled up a H-U-G-E, fat grub! *shudder* I tossed him to the ground in a girly fashion and promptly squashed him. If I've got grubs, should I go ahead and just dig up my potatoes? They are new potatoes that are about golf ball sized. I'd like them to get bigger, but I don't want to lose what little crop I've got.

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

• lowraine
    14 years ago

I covered my plants with straw. When I dig down into the straw I find the straw damp and starting to break down. Is that what I should expect? My first crop. I have about 18 inches of straw covering the plants.

• kwik1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure about the straw. I used pretty much the same stuff I use in my sqft garden - mel's mix. I do notice, though, that it is very difficult to guage the moisture of the soil in the bin - which i'm thinking is what caused my plants to wilt...too much water.

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Rlk- sorry to hear about your grubs. I have done scant research on potato pests as I've luckily had none. I suggest researching a solution and either treat or salvage what you've got. Root pests are tough to get at.

Lowraine- others have used straw effectively, though I don't use it here due to potential rotting issues. I would say if the straw dries out no problem, you should be fine.

Kwik1- I too use Mel's mix with great results. You shouldn't worry about overwatering, it will drain off what is not needed to hydrate. I simply deep water twice or three times a week depending on the temperature.

Good luck folks!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm