Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbrandywinevalley

Adding flowers to my SFG

I want to add flowers to my SFG and I need a bit of advice. I only have 2 SF to allocate to flowers. I want them mostly for color, but being able to cut them for a vase would be a definite plus. My limitation is that the spot gets only about 4-5 hours of sun a day. I know begonias would grow there, but I'm maxed out on begonias at the moment. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

I heard that marigolds are good companion plants and help keep pests down. I do not believe they are good for cutting.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

Calendula - commonly called Pot Marigold but not a true Marigold - says on my packet that it's good for cut flowers, blooms are edible, and long-lasting. It's often recommended in veggie gardens. I have two coming up in my SFG now from seed, and just budding. We shall see! Actual Marigold (Tagetes patula is the one I have) is also good in the garden and also attracts beneficial insects etc.

Calendula says full sun but you could try in 4-5 hours and see if they work? (I'm a newbie). ;)

• gardenper
    9 years ago

zinnias, gladiolus, freesia, etc

They should all still grow well within this growing season.

Also, any of those tall plants with flower spikes, like larkspur, foxtrot, etc but they may take a while longer to establish a bloom.

• valeriegr
    9 years ago

I have space for Zinnias and cosmos which are good for cutting. You could do a taller marigold. I've never put lavender in myself but I don't see why it wouldn't make a good dual purpose plant.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville