Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

protecting my garden from critters

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

This morning, while I was opening my garden for watering everything- my wife asked me if I shared the fence info with everyone on here, and I said no.She thought I should share these pictures with y'all - and it would be nice of me to explain how the removable sections worked.I can open each section in approximately 3 seconds, and re-install it in the same amout of time.If everyone will remember, I built the "different" garden box, and everything is my own design.So, here goes.

First, I attached the bottom clamps to the inside of the 4x4 posts with screws, and installed a screw directly underneath the clamp to create a stopping point for the bottom of the tee post to rest on. The clamp opening is larger than the post,allowing the post to rest in there loosely (photo)

Second, I attach the top clamp to the 4x4 post, in such a manner as the top of the tee post only comes half way up into it.This way, the tee post is stationary, but very loose - at the same time (photo)

After I get 2 adjacent tee posts installed in this manner, I attach the wire mesh to the tee posts with electric fence wire.To remove each section, I simply lift one of the tee posts straight up about 1 inch, and swing the bottom of the post outward and down at the same time. (photo)

Since the wire mesh comes in a roll (and even when cut, always want to roll back up)- I utilize this to my advantage. I fasten the wire mesh to the "loosely mounted" tee posts, so that the curve naturally wants to go toward the box.That way,to gain access to each section of garden- I only remove one side, and allow the entire section to roll up on it's own -while walking it to the other post location.I can then leave it standing on it's end, all coiled up.The end result is a completely enclosed garden,without sacrificing funtionality and accessibility.(photo)

I hope this information is helpful,I get a good feeling - just knowing that I might be able to make someone's life easier in some way - by the designs that I come up with.Have a nice day

Comments (13)

• kristimama
    15 years ago

Very helpful to me, and nice to know I'm not the only one who has to cage up my garden from the critters. LOL

On top of the usual deer, racoons, squirells, ets... I have got these agressive blue jays. And someone ratted me out to the crows, who have started circling. So needless to say my boxes right now are covered ALL sides with bird netting. Gonna have to try something like what you've designed though, for longer term.

Thanks! -k

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're welcome kristi. If you need better explanation of how it works- or how to construct, I will be glad to help you.BTW- my dad told me if you tie a string directly over your stuff(horizontally),a crow won't mess with it.The older generation have some pretty wise ideas.....

• yrdling
    15 years ago

That's a neat idea. If your plants get really big, though, don't you think they might wiggle their way through and up your roll wire fence material? That might make it hard to move the wire without damaging the plants.

• dapper
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden:Best design I have seen man. It protects everything without taking up anymore space than the box itself. Along with the way your trellises are built to serve double duty, you are getting so much more out of your raised bed with minimal space used.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dapper - thanks for the compliment dude. That really means everything to me. Alot of thought went into this design. It's just not in me - to half-a@@ build something.

yrdling - I check my garden every morning at 5:30 am, and also every evening at 5:30 pm. Plus, my elderly father visits it 2 or 3 times a day, while i'm at work. So,I am literally on top of anything that might go wrong. If some of the plants try to get into the fencing, i'll position their foliage so that it's not a problem. As you can see - I have plenty of things to tie something to.

I took a photo of it this morning, when I had it opened up.

• yrdling
    15 years ago

That is one sweet setup for sure, eg.

• good_ole_boy
    15 years ago

Man, you must be a genius or sumthin.I looked at all the messages you put on here about your new garden, and yours makes more sense than anybody.Ever thought about doin this for a livin?

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good ole boy - you make me laugh..No, i'm not a genius.My I.Q. is only 132, and it takes 140 or higher to be a genius.Anyway, if I can ever help you design something - let me know.I'll be glad to help you anyway I can.

• lab12
    15 years ago

Wonderful design! I may have to do something similar to keep out the neighborhood 5 yr old that keeps vandalizing my garden by stepping in each and every square! Do you think a padlock could be easily added?

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lab - no padlock needed. There's no way a five year old could figure out how to open it.I've had adults look at it in person,and most of them ask "isn't it difficult to open,looks like it's more trouble than it's worth - to have to remove those screws everytime." Then, of course - I give them a demonstration.

• heather38
    14 years ago

That is brilliant, I am glad someone else posted about it, it has saved me a lot of thinking, I had decided to try and build a garden next year, I am using an old bed...literally (old todler bed) this year, incase I found I didn't enjoy gardening, I didn't want to invest too much money, but I am finding at an obsession, I keep expanding and expanding! and my idea I have been working on to protect from deer, involved using a space at the front of the house using to walls aready in place but I quickly relised that all the beds on the square could only be 2 ft wide due to access, my reach is not good even though I am 5ft 8 inches. so now I can have the full 4ft on two of the sides, yah!
    Its a big idea it has to be said I am intending to make the beds 12 inches deep but at a height of 3 feet, with a small area underneath for keeping my towels ect, I want to incorporate cross bars for hanging baskets and out side the deer cage, a bird net, over this in the fall a plastic cover to extend the season both then and in the spring, take it off using the insect nets over spacific veg the one exposed cover will be my potato tower!, I also want to use the downpipe from the gutter which is there to incorporate a waterbutt, no idea if this is a state where this is illegal, but 1, they have to catch me and 2, in these times of conservation would anyone want to risk the bad publicity a case like that would course? as I said big idea and I think it will take me a few years of slowly adding the beds...I don't want to bankrupt myself! the reason for the high beds is although fit and athletic (twin 4yr old boys see to that!), I have a condition where if I bend or stretch or use repetitive movements, to much my joints hurt alot, as my ligaments are too stretchy, and I don't know if this will get worse as I lose muscle mass 40 next year, thinking ahead!! that said gardening isn't as bad as knitting, given that hobby up too painful.

• rachel597
    14 years ago

What a timely revival of an old thread ⺠We were trying to figure out a way to keep our dog and the deer out of the garden.

This is incredible! Thanks engineeredgarden for sharing your great ideas with this forum. I have learned a lot from reading your posts here.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heather, Rachel - Thanks! I paced the yard for days, trying to come up with this design. I'm glad I could help you!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Garden Blog

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!