Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California Wonder Bell Pepper Plant -- not growing.

Posted by travelsfo (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 11:19

I've got 2 CalWonder (Hybrid) Bell Peppers growing in the SFG, one per square foot, and they are not growing. There is some insect damage (holes) in the leaves but the plant is green and alive. It's just not growing.

Has anyone had the same experience with bell peppers in the SFG? The plants are maybe 3-4" tall and have been in the ground since around late April (in San Francisco.)

Night time lows are 57*F.
Day time temps are 65 - 75*F.

Too cold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California Wonder Bell Pepper Plant -- not growing.

This is my first year of SFG, but I've read that peppers like overnight lows no colder than 55 degrees. I started my California Wonders indoors in March and transplanted 2 weeks after the last frost date (5/15 here in NJ). Mine are about 9-10" tall now and starting to flower. We've had some unseasonably cool weather this June, so I am a bit concerned about them, but they seem healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

o

You need more heat. As soon as that happens, you'll be all set.

Dan

o

Yeah I had trouble even germinating peppers because I didnt have the environment hot enough. I just bought them from the store so I assume they need the garden to be pretty hot too. Good luck!

o

Thanks.

I put a mini-greenhouse around my Jalapeno plant when it started to look a little weak. It perked right up and is starting to grow towards the top of the mini-greenhouse (just a yogurt tub inverted over the plant with the small hole cut in the top for light to come through.

I will try this with my bell peppers.

o

I had a different sweet pepper (Romanian Rainbow) that bore little fruit the first year, but produced amazingly well the second year. Do some varieties do that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here