Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawnann_gw

garden is coming along (blog pics)

shawnann
14 years ago

My square foot garden is coming along and I am proud of it considering all but three plants are from seed, even though some were late starting. I just wanted to share. You can see pics and progress on my blog link below!

I can't wait to begin harvesting from it. I wish I had started seedlings earlier, but I will be better prepared and know better next year!

Thanks for looking!

Shawn Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

Comments (7)

• rachel597
    14 years ago

Hey, things are looking great! This is my first year trying SFGing too.

I bet you will have good luck with your seedlings.

I usually try to start a few seeds myself and end up with only a few successful small plants. I plant these along with my purchased transplants. Usually, there is a big difference in size. I am surprised how my seedlings catch up once the warmer weather hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

• medontdo
    14 years ago

your plants and garden looks great!! you should try winter sowing!! it works great!! and they'll be ready when its time to plant out!! **big smile** i did it the year befor and it was so fun, but last year i got to busy with the homeschooling that i didin't have the time to do that. **sigh** but this year, you better bet your bottom dollar i will be doing that!! LOL **huge smile** ~Medo
    P.S. i love your blog!!

• shawnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!
    I really do want to start much earlier next year, but I didn't have all the supplies I needed this year to get started and when I did get all the supplies I had to learn techniques to keep my cats away and from eating everything I grew! My first set of seedlings were devoured! Little stinkers! But finally I was able to come up with a successful system! As this is only my second year with my own garden, I am definitely still learning alot! This is my first sfg.
    Next year I will be much more prepared to start early! I would love to be picking tomatoes at this time next year!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• jengc
    14 years ago

Anytime my dog even LOOKS at my garden I quickly shout "Don't even THINK about it DOG!" lol She gives me a look like "wha??" I dont even think dogs would do anythign to the garden but I dont chance it! When her leash looks like it will touch something I am in panic mode LOL No. I am not a control freak. Why would you think that?

I have threatened the cute little baby bunny that likes to frequent my deck where I have many tomato plants and lettuce. The bunny promises not to touch it, which she has made good on it so far, but let me see one nibble. Rabbit stew anyone? LOL Your kitties are lucky to have a loving owner like you :)

• shawnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's too funny! My mom has to keep all her gardens penned up to keep the dogs out. They destroy it when they get to it. They dig everything up!

I have had some bunny and neighborhood cat problems but the insect net I have put over each of the boxes is helping keep them out. I am always watching those bunnies! They eat my flowers too! Blood meal helps deter them. They are so cute but so annoying too!

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

In her younger days, my older dog would dig in the garden. Now she'd most likely trample, lay in, and eat the garden. She doesn't get the chance anymore 'cause at this house, the garden isn't in the backyard with the dogs (yay!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• rachel597
    14 years ago

We fenced in the garden plot this year. Last year was our first year with Bradie, our yellow Lab and late in the season we discovered she loves melons, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

We will be sharing our harvest with her this year :)

Here is a link that might be useful: GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

Sponsored