Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese beetles

Posted by mommato2bubbas VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 12:32

Hello all,
I am new to this forum, this is my 2nd year SFGing, and the 2nd year that Japanese beetles keep eating my basil plants. Does anyone else have this problem, if so, what do you do to keep them from devouring all the basil. I have tried the traps and even put some dust stuff the feed-n-seed told me to use. But I would like to try to avoid chemicals. I have 11 plants and they are mowing them down.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese beetles

step one: pick the japanese beetles off anytime you see them and squish them or throw them in a soapy water bucket. repeat until crazy

step two: Yell and curse at them then run around like a madman/woman cursing more and pulling out your hair.

step three: Give up and hope they don't eat the plants to the ground so there is still enough for you or spray them with chemicals so you no longer want to eat it either, but hopefully kill as many of the SOB's as possible in the process.

Repeat as necessary.

o

Oh one more thing for some reason I'm not having hardly any problems with japanese beetles this year. I think it's the starlings. They're always in my yard picking things out of the grass and garden. I can't say 100% because the bug off as soon as they see me, but it looks like japanese beetles they're eating......along with doing a number on my zucchini, but I'm fine with that so long as they are eating the beetles.

o

So far, I think I am following the 3 step plan to a tee. :o)
Think I might try some kind of netting??

o

I would think netting would keep birds off, but would not block too many beetles

o

Try a Japenese Beetle trap. I set one out this year and it is working well. I see very few beetles on my plants and my trap is filling up. I see them for sale almost everywhere and you don't have too spray your plants with chems.

Scott

o

bought at lowe's today, window screening in a roll. Just laid in over top of the basil plants (4x4 box). Working great. Small enough holes to keep the beetles from eating but lets the water/sun in. It is very lightweight too.

Thanks for the trap idea, tried them last year, did not have much success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here