Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fisheggs_gw

Storing soil over winter

fisheggs
14 years ago

Hi folks!

I have a quick question looking into the future a bit, since hubby and I are currently cleaning out/reorganizing our basement and garage.

Once I realized that there was no way I wanted to throw out the numerous tomato seedlings that didn't fit into my very few sq foot beds, I made a few 15" cubes to grow them in out of our old kitchen cabinet doors (oak). This has turned out to be a very good thing, since the sq foot garden area gets even LESS sun than I'd thought, whereas the cubes are right on the driveway and have very happy plants in them.

My question has to do with what we should do with the soil in the winter. I'd like to store the boxes in the basement, empty, if possible, to prolong their life for a few years. Might do this with my whole square foot bed, since I built them on stilts and they are really light when empty. Do any of you empty out containers or smaller beds and store the dirt over winter? If I just dumped it on a large tarp and covered it with another tarp, would that be sufficient? I was thinking that it might be even easier to add in my fresh compost next spring if I do it this way. Could also be a chance for me to eradicate any any colonies that have taken up residence in the wood.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored