Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jengc_gw

Netting for berry bushes

jengc
14 years ago

The birds have discovered my five lowly raspberries. Can anyone give me a good resource for this? I am hoping to get it locally (home depot, walmart etc). I haven't even started looking for it. I hate to waste the gas if someone on here has found it.

Thanks!

Jen

Comments (10)

• rlkennerly
    14 years ago

My local farm supply/nursery carries the bird netting. If you have one that sells veggies and such, they might carry it as well. I'd give a few of them a call.

I didn't see it at Home Depot or Lowes, and I avoid Wal-Mart like the H1N1 virus. :)

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ROFL Hate walmart that bad eh? OK I will visit my local co-op store (it HAS to be a chain. It is too professional looking but I can't find them on the net!). They might have it. They had the vermiculite.

Thanks Rachel!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

JenGC, I bought mine at Lowe's. Can't remember what I paid, but it was quite inexpensive. I do find it flies off the berry patch every time the wind blows, so I think I'll build a hoop frame over my berry bed and attach the netting with clamps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• stephanieftx
    14 years ago

I got a 14' x 14' roll at Lowe's for about $5. It was out by the fencing supplies near the garden section.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

"I got a 14' x 14' roll at Lowe's for about $5"

Yep, that was it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

COOL BEANS! You guys rock

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• heather38
    14 years ago

same here lowes (DH found it), I have discovered that lowes, walmart, home depot, do not seasonally update their websites, and there is much more, in store, (jingle writer in the making?) than on the websites, which seems completely stupid to me, as I have ended up order from on-line suppliers , as I am too lazy, to go to the store (actually, I'm not! I send Hubby with a list, as if I go, I buy stuff I didn't need) so they miss out on sales to people like me who always investigate best price on line! their loss!
    And that said I have found I can get exacty what I want on line, and have been mostly happy 95% with the service I have received. and many time really impressed.

• photodreamer
    14 years ago

Got the net and it worked till the darn squirrel saw the bright blue berries then I had a nice big caged Squirrel OH What fun he finely burst thru the other side we have given up now and just use Rat wire stapled onto a frame of 1x1 that sit over the small bushes maybe some day the bushes will be big enough to produce enough berries that we can share.

• bryanb1
    14 years ago

We grow blueberries and the birds eventually discovered they were tasty. So, on one large plot (4 plants next to a fence), I built a blueberry cage. I used PVC pipe (8' tall, 12' long (and 8' + 4' length) and 6'wide) to build a cage. I cover the cage with heavy netting and attach the netting with plastic strapping connectors. I leave one end open, but clamped with s clothespins to allow entrance. Works great, although the price per blueberry is probably fairly high. Because of the size, I used 1" PVC pipe. Fortunately, the materials seem to last forever. It is also a pain to put together. I did spray paint the pipe in black, so that it is not so obtrusive. Today I invented the blueberry tepee. We have several blueberries that are two to three year old and are planted further apart than the much older big one. For these, I have constructed a tepee made of three 6' lengths of PVC pipe attached at the top with a connector. The pipe is covered with netting and then attached to the ground with garden staples. I used 1" pipe, since that was the size of pipe left over from the earlier project, but I think you could get by with 1/4" pipe for this one. Easy to build and should work well.

Bryan

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

TSC has it for $6 this week

Just a thought. I use "round cages or circles of 3' tall 1/2 openings of galvanized hdwe cloth..

Just wish it was 4 foot tall instead... ah well...

last cuts were 12 feet long. then ends wired

.oh used rebar inside to keep it in placed. like 2 3 or 4 lenghts of....

expensive but very long lasting. bought rolls 50 ft long. lot cheaper that way...

then later will cover top and draped around sides with clothespins using curtain "sheers" or tulle or frost cloth or whatever ....

just a saying

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths