Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beginnerkelli

two square vacancies in 6b...

beginnerkelli
14 years ago

after i harvest my carrots and beet (only one grew :/)i will have two empty squares.

suggestions for what to plant this time of year are appreciated!

Comments (5)

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

More carrots and beets? Some bush beans? I'm leaving a lot of my squares empty, as the veggies next to them need the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

I put zinnias in where I took out the radishes and bolted spinach to attract pollinators for the later warm-crops. I'll have 2 more blocks once the lettuce & beets/carrots go by, which will house either more Zinnias, maybe marigolds, or I might try my hand at cover-crops just for ha-has.

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

granny - i was thinking more carrots and beets but i thought they preferred cool weather. i would like to give beets another go, as only 1 out of 9 made it this time. i just LOVE beet greens (apparently many insects do too...)

mmqchdygg- wow, never heard of zinnias. just googled them - what a pretty, colorful flower! i was thinking marigolds to repel pests.

thank you, both. i guess my trip to the local nursery will help me make my final determination!

• gabbygardner
    14 years ago

I think you should kinda look at what your weather is like as well. Our weather has been so cool and wet, I planted a succession series of beets, chard and more lettuce and they are going gangbusters!!

They may get mauled by sun later, but I will be okay with it because my poor garden is in such desperate need of sun right now:)

g

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Beginnerkelli, I planted both beets and carrots in July last year, and the beets were my best and sweetest and not bothered by leaf miners. The carrots didn't get real large by the time winter weather hit, they were barely big enough for eating but very sweet. I'll be planting both around July 1 for fall harvests, if I'm not completely sick of them by then. Cucumbers could also be an option. I did bush cukes in pots last July.

Here are the notes I kept:

Beets
    7/18/2008 Planted two rows in bed #1.
    8/23/2008 Growing beautifully. Lost two or three to cutworm. Leaves not bothered by leaf miners.
    9/15/2008 Small and sweet. Plan to plant last crop about two weeks earlier next year, or around July 1.

Carrots
    7/18/2008 Planted a 6" wide row in bed #1.
    7/26/2008 germination was rather poor. The ones that did come up look healthy, but I doubt they will mature before we leave for the winter.
    10/1/2008 pulled carrots for rabbit, too small for eating. Plant at least a month earlier for late crop.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting