Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madmike_gw

Brussel Sprouts

MadMIke
18 years ago

This is my first year growing Brussel Sprouts, do you normally have to support them? Mine seem to want to tip over on their own.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (14)

• jimlang
    18 years ago

I never have had to, they have always stood up straight. Love them. But it wouldn't hurt to stake them.

• MadMIke
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Mike

• amysrq
    18 years ago

And another BS question. (Brussel Sprouts, that is!)

How many to a square? I am assuming four...

Thanks.

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

One to a square worked for me--which is the planting grid for all the common brassicas (cabbage family) except kale (4/1). I will say, the kale I planted accidently at 1/1 made such huge, sweet leaves, compared to the ones I planted correctly at 4/1, that I may try it again with a known cultivar--"cabbage rolls" from flat leaves the size of small turkey platters....

• MadMIke
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, just a follow up: The plants stayed tipped over most of the season with no negative effects. We finally had a light frost which I hear is supposed to make the sprouts sweeter. I picked one plant and the sprouts were wonderful, better than any I've had before.
    Amy,
    One per square for me, and it definitely filled the square up.

Good Luck,
    Mike

• clermont_ohio
    17 years ago

Definitely 1 per square. Be careful that what you plant around them gets a chance to get established or they could be overshadowed by the leaves of the brussel sprouts.

• donb946
    17 years ago

You can help the tipping over by removing leaves as the "sprouts" mature from the bottom up. Always leave at least a foot or so of leaves at the top of the stalk so the plant can continue getting energy from the sun. This will also generally result in larger sprouts.

Always worked for me.

don

• rustycage
    17 years ago

Another brussel sprout question:

If I harvest sprouts will the plant grow new ones, or is it just best to pull the plant and put something else in it's place. With my broccoli, after I harvested the main heads I was able to get some smaller heads that rapidly appeared in the following weeks.

Thanks,
    rusty

• klkdickinson
    15 years ago

Rusty - don't yank the plants. You need to wait until they get hit with a frost (two or three frosts is better) before you can harvest the sprouts. By that time, the growing season is done.

I know what you're talking about with the broccoli, but the same doesn't apply to brussels.

• lorij4
    14 years ago

I am new to this, so what's a square? A square foot? Also I read something about pinching something off? Does anybody have any idea what and where this is. Mine are tipped also.

• bstnh1
    11 years ago

I space my sprouts 2' apart and stake them. The further apart you plant them, the larger the sprouts will be.

• czechens
    11 years ago

I adore Brussels sprouts and would get a huge kick out of growing some in my garden, but the culture info makes me despair of success. I'm on the Kansas-Missouri border south of Kansas City, where summer temps are typically in the upper 90s. Does anyone have any experience and tips for growing a BS plant or two in such conditions, or should I just give it up and stick to peppers?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus