Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smichel_gw

Small Batch Pickle Recipe?

smichel
11 years ago

My little square foot garden only has 6 cucumber plants (growing up 2 bamboo teepees) but they still don't produce enough cucumbers to make a batch of pickles. Does anyone have a recipe for pickles (preferable sweet or bread & butter) that makes only one or two jars at a time?

Comments (8)

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Hi, i have a recipe that is called refrigerator pickles. it takes 8c of sliced cucumbers, mix in a bowl, cover and you just take what you want from it. they are awesome and will last for a long time (if no one takes from the bowl) and still taste great months later. let me know if this interests you. otherwise i could not find anything less than 7 pints. just to make a pint or 2 is a lot of work.

Jodi

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Jodi,

I'm interested in your recipe.

Mike

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Mike, here is the recipe:
    8c sliced unpeeled cucumbers
    - place in a bowl and add 1 medium sliced onion
    tie in a bag(something like cheesecloth):
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp dill seed
    1 heaping tsp of pickling spice
    - put in the bowl with the cukes
    mix together real good:
    2 tsp salt(I used table salt)
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1 3/4 c vinegar(I used apple vinegar)
    - Pour over the cukes and spices.
    Cover and store in the refrigerator indefinately.

I put mine in a plastic ice cream pail or a tuperware bowl with a cover. Whatever will fit on my shelf. They never last long! Let me know how they turn out for you.

Jodi

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Thanks Jodi, I can't wait to give them a try. Going to be a couple of weeks before I have some cukes to try, but I will report back when I make a batch :)

Mike

• kumquat1
    11 years ago

Really, really small batch recipe:
    After eating all the pickles out of the Clausen jar (we love their refrigerator pickle)I slice some cukes out of the garden and put them into the jar with the Clausen juice and spices. Put in the fridge. They will keep till you eat them all.

• momstar
    11 years ago

Try this recipe. It makes one quart at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: one jar at a time pickles

• smichel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recipes. Does it make a difference what kind of cucumber you use? Mine are really weird! - they are fuzzy! I tried peeling them and using a pickle recipe and they are limp and soggy. Would it help to soak them in lime 1st? I think I might try buying some regular ones at a farmer's market instead.
    Here's a picture of one of my baby FUZZY cucumbers (the fuzz gets less as they grow bigger but they still but they still have a "peach fuzz" on them when mature:

And they are all different shapes! Some are crooked and others are straight! I should have kept the tag since I wouldn't want to plant this variety again.

• SaladQueen
    11 years ago

Maybe some grew hanging from your supports, and grew straight, and others were leaning on something, and so curved? That's usually why this happens.