Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers and pole beans along fence

Posted by diclemeg 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 14:13

I have cucumbers and pole beans about 8 inches off along a 6 foot wood fence, and haven't set up staking or trellis yet. The fence posts are on my side, so maybe can I get away with simply running three lines of fishing wire horizontally, one every two feet, attached to each fence post ? The fence posts are 4x4. Any opinions here? Maybe a bad idea due to tightness on the back side ? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers and pole beans along fence

I have about the same setup, for my peas and tomatoes. I planted mine at the very outside edge of the bed (about 8" away from fence). They all are doing very well.

o

Are they in a bed or planted along the fence (so you have access to all of the front)?

I think you could do the pole beans on string (I wonder if fishing line is too slick though) but I think perhaps the cukes need a something a little bit heftier. I'm just guessing, so take it as you will...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

Have two 4x4 raised beds made from 2x8's. And they are abutted against the fence. The first two rows are cukes and beans, so thus the furthest any of them are from the fence are roughly 2.5 feet.

Yesterday I actually set up both a trellis with nylon netting going through the middle of the rows, AND drilled four inch screws every two feet up the fence posts, and then ran twine horizontally between them.

Thanks anyway.

o

I planted more beans than ever this year. I ran out of room, so I planted my cornfield beans in pots and set them next to the wooden fence. I also put up a nylon trellis. They are just about to start climbing the trellis.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here