Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

How is your garden growing?

I'd be curious to see how everyone's garden is looking as we approach July. Anyone want to share?

Comments (23)

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Corn, me and my grandson.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Rattlesnake Beans

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Squash and Zucchini

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Sweet Potatoes

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Pumpkins escaping the bed. Sorry for individual posts but I have not yet put together a combined photo album.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Notice there are no pictures of my tomatoes. Diseases of one sort or another have taken hold. I just trimmed off all the diseased leaves/branches and sprayed with copper fungicide. They are scalped.

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    9 years ago

Your other plants look lush and healthy. What does the clear plastic do for the squash and zucchini? It sees like it might get rather toasty under the cover.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

The squash and zucchini are covered with tulle to keep the SVB ( squash vine borers) from attacking. If I don't cover them, every single one will be destroyed by the SVB. I have pumpkins planted for the first time this year. They are too big to cover. All 8 plants are dying from the SVB. I just bought some syringes to try to inject them with BT to see if I can salvage any but it is really hard getting into the middle to the main stem. SVB's are real bad here.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow yolos beautiful!! those rattlesnake beans are amazing! (taking notes...) do you dry them? or freeze them? you must get quite a bounty.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

am so jealous of all your space yolos - but here is a pic of my beds as they are now. zucchini is really getting going - yellow squash just sprouted in right hand bed. still putting things in .... but cucumbers beans are producing, and the two right hand tomatoes have produced a lot but are now struggling....ah well. i am finding that growing things this close together is really kinda nuts - keeping the tomatoes tamed is tricky, but so far it's working okay and I'm certainly growing a lot of different kinds of plants in my tiny garden, so it's great for a first year learning experiment. ;)

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

I am freezing my rattlesnake beans. Yea, there are a lot. That is 16 squares of beans. Way, way too many. This is my first time growing rattlesnake beans and did not have any idea how they would produce. I had intended to thin them out to 6 per square but I couldn't bring myself to destroy such nice plants so I just erected a few more trellises and let them go. I have a lot of other things growing in my summer garden right now but have not taken recent pictures - 3 varieties of eggplant, 3 varieties of cucumbers, 11 varieties of tomatoes, pink eye purple hull peas, dragon tongue beans, green bush bean, royal burgundy bean, edamame, pinto beans, kale. I am experimenting with 8 different beans/southern peas to see what grows the best in my climate and pest local.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are the rattlesnake beans yummy? I may have to try them next year. Though I guess I'd have to build a new trellis that's much taller ;)

I have 16 kentucky green beans - and getting about 5 beans every other day - hoping it will speed up so we can actually get a proper dinner portion....lol.

• proudmamato4
    9 years ago

Just beautiful!!!!
    Here are some pics from my 3rd year (this year) of SFG. Getting better all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: SFG 2014

• NatMat283
    9 years ago

I am in NE Pennsylvania here. I did tomatoes and peppers and some basil this year. My tomatoes were killing the basil so I had to chop it all down early.

I have never done a garden before and wanted to experiment. I figure there are still a couple of months left to grow so I hope things get even better but I have to say I am pleased. Either I got lucky or all of the reading and attention to the plants paid off.

Back two left cages are Black Krim. I count about 12 baby tomatoes between the two plants. You can barely make them out in the 1st picture.

Back two right cages are Big Boy. They are producing about the same as far as fruit goes but they are loaded with blossoms.

There is a middle row of standard yellow/orange Bell Peppers. You can't tell they are there but they have room lol

The front four plants on the left are Cayenne. The front four on the right are Sweet Pickling Peppers.

I know the bed looks crowded but I make sure there is plenty of water to go around and nothing is being shaded out. I pruned the front of my tomatoes to keep them away from my peppers. Oh and boy those tomatoe plants are getting heavy. I sat them in the sun on their sides for a few days before I transplanted them and they bent into an "L" shape real nice. I have about 6" of plant submerged into the compost parallel with the natural ground underneath. It seems to have anchored the plants nicely and has made a the difference I am sure.

So far the compost seems to be providing enough of what the plants need. I know I will have to recompost this fall and I will probably rotate my beds. (plant beans where the tomatoes are next spring)

Anyhow thanks for looking.

• NatMat283
    9 years ago

My young basil. I dried it and it is still tasty. I just wish I was able to grow more.

• NatMat283
    9 years ago

Pickling Peppers are doing ok. I hope the plants grow some more.

• NatMat283
    9 years ago

Cayenne peppers.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Looking real good NatMat.

• jocoyn
    9 years ago

I am fairly new here and hope to both learn and contributed. Hopefully my link to our Facebook Garden album for 2014 is working........it shows the progression of starting with our "hugelculture, raised, square foot gardening beds and is updated regularly......I made the settings public.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nancy's Garden

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow really nice nancy! i'm jealous of all those square feet. ;) and love the trellises.

• jocoyn
    9 years ago

When we are finished, there will be 11 beds each 24SF and then one long narrow bed about 40SF..Love seeing all the vertical gardening. We got a good start and plan to do pole beans next year and maybe some corn. I am going to try to train my 2nd zuke this season to a pole. (It just went in). Great ideas on this board.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

hey jane-i look at this site occasionally because im not sfg but am an intensive companion planting gardener. your weary query about why activity on the site drops off probably has to do with new years day syndrome. join the gym on new years days, go a few times then realize -jeez, this takes a lot of time. people plant, work at it for a few weeks and then slack. most of my friends must be insane because they do this year after year and are always surprised the results are the same.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

for scale the corn is 6 ft. despite 2 weeks of temps in the 100's the garden is flourishing. forecast is for a week of high 80's so it should pop. yay

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville