Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_veggies

Thinning Broccoli Raab

amy_veggies
15 years ago

Hi there,

New to the community and first time SFGer. I started with one 4X4 and then added a 1X4 alongside it because I had extra Mel's Mix. My question is about thinning broccoli raab (rapini). I planted it 9 to a square, and the seeds were incredibly small. I put a pinch of seeds in each hole - and I think they're ALL germinating. It's kind of hard to see which to thin since I'm not familiar with how broccoli raab looks as it grows - is each individual thin stem a seed that has germinated? It looks like there are at least 5-7 stems coming from each space where I sowed the seeds. Do I snip them now (I started them on June 16) or let them get a little bigger?

Second question - I planted a square of bush beans on the same day and none of them have germinated - is this normal? Everything else I planted from seed has sprouted.

I'm loving the SFG method - my favorite part is how easy it is to pull a little weed if I see one (I did use weed cloth - so I imagine they got there by the wind).

Thank you so much for your advice.

-Amy

Broccoli Raab

The whole garden (still waiting for my trellis netting to arrive in the mail, it wasn't available at any store where I live):

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus