Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cha_cha16

My first blog!

cha_cha
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking/reading these forums for a couple of years now and asking the occasional question here and there. Looking at everyone's wonderful blogs has inspired me to start my own. I started gardening 4 years ago using Mel's book as a guide. In the Tucson desert I've had to make a few adaptations like not trellising tomatoes and I have quite a few whiskey barrels so some of my garden is more of a round foot than a square but for the most part I use Mel's guidelines for spacing and his recipe for Mel's Mix.

Please take a look at it, I'd appreciate any feedback you'd like to offer. I've created it over the last couple of days so there are probably some areas I could fill in with more info - feel free to let me know if something could use more explanation.

Thanks so much!

cha cha

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockin' the Garden

Comments (5)

• rachel597
    14 years ago

Round foot gardening! I like that! I also like your blog, you are doing very well and your garden is beautiful.

Rachel
    Graphic Muse's Garden Spot

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

I'm a fan already! I bow to anyone who can grow such a beautiful garden in AZ. I was a total failure at it last winter!

I hope you don't mind, I've added a link on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• jengc
    14 years ago

Wow that is great! So you have things growing in 100+ weather huh? I was very worried about my garden because it is predicted to have 98 degree weather this weekend. I didnt know if my plants would live through it but you have given me hope! lol

I also added your link to my blog. I like to put the list there because it is easier to find everyone and read their blog. I LOVE reading how everyone else is doing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• momma_s
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing!

I love reading everyone's blogs too. It's great seeing how other gardens are growing in different areas and climates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

• cha_cha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I've put you all on my blog list and I would like to figure out to have a profile pic that shows up as a follower but isn't on my blog page and then I can follow you...... although I don't actually know what will happen when I do that.

Rachel, I'm waiting to see how your zukes grow because although everyone makes fun of excess zucchini it has actually been the hardest crop for me so far. I've just never had success with it.

Annie, In my dreams my garden would look as wonderful as yours. I look forward to gardening with you during the winter if you decide to have another go at it.

Jen, Your garden will last through 98 degrees but don't freak out when everything wilts in the middle of the day and looks like it's dead. I'm going to take some pics of the difference in my plants b/w direct sun and shade so you can commiserate if your babies look the same.

momma_s, I love your sweet potato art! This is your first year gardening? You are kicking booty! I look forward to seeing how things keep progressing.

It's funny, I've always felt a sense of comraderie and support in the sq foot forums and I appreciates that no one judges my round foots either.

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockin' the Garden

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting