Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chiggers in the garden

Posted by lowraine (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 15:36

Does anyone else close enough to the woods to have chiggers? I didn't consider them, knew they were in the outer edge of the yard, but never thought they would become part of my garden. I have to spray down before entering and sometimes that isn't enough. I am learning to live with the few who get past the spray. Anyone else have this problem and if so any help out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chiggers in the garden

Applying beneficial nematodes every 6 weeks or so will drastically cut down on your chiggers, fleas, ticks, and other soil borne pests (like roaches, cut worms, grubs, etc).

Now, if I could just find something to eliminate the mosquitos!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

o

Question about beneficial nematodes ... I also have marigolds planted throughout the garden and know these are good for nematode suppression. If I apply beneficial nematodes, will the marigolds also suppress the beneficials ?

Let me know if you find anything to control mosquitoes. They seem to love hanging out around my garden and attack as soon as I step foot towards that direction !

o

"Now, if I could just find something to eliminate the mosquitos!!"
Bats? I really don't know the situation in DFW, but building a bat house for a local species of bat could quickly deal with your mosquito problem.

Along with all the normal "don't leave standing water for mosquito larva" methods.

o

Marigolds deter bad nematodes, not good ones. The beneficial nematodes will be good for all your soil and plants. The marigolds won't bother the beneficials.

Stephanie

o

What are menatodes? And how do I get them?

o

Ok-lowraine, I promise I am only teasing a little;) But, when you transposed the "m" and "n" on nematodes, my mind made a mental picture of an angry toad-very cute.

I am actually just learning about them myself, but I found a ton of info on a google search about the little devils.

Thanks for letting me tease - a little;)

g

o

Never too old to learn are we? I guess it is time for me to google as well. I watered my garden and tied my cabbage and yes I have three new chiggers (at last count). Ain't life fun.

o

gabby, the count came in at nine.

o

Lowraine, I am feeling for ya!! Those chiggers sound downright evil!! Biting little buggers!! I hope you can get rid of them. Mite larvae right, I looked them up. I can't believe how yucky they are.

Sounds like drowning them might be the only way. The sight I saw said to drown them in soapy water a couple times a week, and they may not come back. Worth a try I guess.

Good Luck!!

g

o

I've found that Tea Tree Oil is the answer for mosquito bites, ant bites, and chigger bites. Just dab it on with a q-tip and the itchiness and stinging are gone in a few minutes. The raised welt goes away soon after, too. You can find it in the vitamins/supplement section of the store.

o

Thanks for the suggestions, green tea oil and soapy water. I will try both.

o

I am ready to attack the chiggers with soapy water. Can someone give me a formula for a gallon sprayer and soap? Also, do I spray the top as well as the underside of the plants. I know for a fact that they live on the edging of the garden sections.

o

Hey Lowraine: I found a great list of natural recipes here on GW. The link is below.

Here is another place to try: it looked very interesting.
http://www.pallasathenesoap.com/puresoap/insect.pdf

Good Luck!!

g

Here is a link that might be useful: GW organic recipes for insecticides and fungicides

o

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here