Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Q

Posted by bubbalove 8 Central AL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 15:37

I planted some marigolds that I grew from seed and they are scattered through the garden. They are about a foot tall and no sign of blooming. Any ideas why?

I'm going to post a few pics when I borrow a camera. Sadly, I left my camera in the garden and it got rained on...

I'm new to sq ft and have been lurking about, love the site. Some success and some failures but I keep plucking away at it. Getting hot here in AL and some of my biggest mistakes were not understanding the new zone (I'm used to Zone 6). Any thoughts about what to plant now?

thanks
Bubba

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Q

Have you seen EG's blog? He's in Alabama too- you might find some helpful info.

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Blog

o

bubbalove,

I would plant a shade tree!

o

I have shade (Thank God)maybe too much. I get a lot of afternoon sun.
The non-blooming marigolds aren't really a prblem just a curious question. I wonder if they still help with insect control if they aren't blooming?

o

Maybe too much nitrogen (for marigolds; probably fine for the vegetables)? Usually when you get a lot of leaves and not many flowers on otherwise healthy plants, that's the cause.

Try planting some in pots in "regular" soil. They're not fussy and they should bloom. Same thing happens with Nasturtiums if you plant them in too fertile soil.

o

Susan,
Thanks. That may be the problem. I mix my own soil, heavy on the compost (Real compost, from my own pile. Last year)
Maybe I should ad some phosphorous for blooming?
I was thinking tomatoes aren't blooming as much as I would expect, that might be the problem.
Also, potatoes which are growing well started 'laying over' after some heavy rains last week. They didn't pop back up so I trimmed and caged them...
thanks
Bubba

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here