Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
istheremeaning

Watermelon and Cantaloupe growth

istheremeaning
15 years ago

I planted watermelon and cantaloupe plants a month ago and they do not appear to be growing that much just in the last week 2 of the plants appear to look like they are starting to think of moving but other than that nothing. I thought that they would be a summer crop and would be keeping up with the squash and tomatoes. Is this normal growth for them?

Watermelon

Cantaloupe

Here is a link that might be useful: My square foot garden blog

Comments (7)

• sarahs_eden
    15 years ago

I haven't grown watermelon yet and my cantaloupe was a seedling when I bought it from Lowe's - it seemed slow going at first, but then it took off! Seriously fast growing stuff. But yeah... it seemed to take a little time. I know at some point, I realized my mix was missing something (undoubtedly because I only used one kind of crappy store bought compost) and I added a little fertilizer (Garden Tone - organic) to my soil and things were a lot happier after that. I think that's when the cantaloupe started blooming, though... it had grown a ton before that.
    It does look like something might be munching on yours, though. I've had an attack of little green caterpillars lately and what I think are flea beetles, oh, and don't forget the mites - that did some pretty hefty damage to my cantaloupe, but I think because it was so huge it hasn't had a lasting effect (I hope). Lucky for you, I'm sure in CT, you have less bug problems than here in the swampy south, LOL.
    Best of luck! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Sarah

• gardengoodies
    15 years ago

I started my watermelons from seeds. I can't remember when I planted them, but here they are on 4-9-08 after they had grown for a while and I transplanted them:

Here they are when I planted them on 05-31-09:

And here is a little watermelon that will hopefully stay on the vine and grow. It's about the size of a large bead:

I did cut back the first set of vines because they looked a little weak, but this is what I got in three months. I'd say just give them some more time.

• oasis_226
    15 years ago

Here's a picture of my watermelon. It was planted by seed on 5/24 in a 3x4 bed. Sugar babies on the right (3) and regular sized ones on the left.

Here's cantalope planted 4/30 by plant. It's on the right center, about 5 feet up a trellis, and has a few baseball sized melons.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog - David's Folly

• istheremeaning
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I guess I should just hang in there. I have to admit that I did go out and side dress everything with fish emulsion. I hope that is ok. I have my fingers crossed hoping that I will not end up with just big green leaves now.

Oasis- your garden is so lush and overflowing I can't wait until mine catches up.

Thanks sarah and garden for keeping my hopes alive. Looks like melons just must be slow growers sometimes.

Garden what are you using to tie the melon up with... is it nylons it looks sturdy and gentle.

Here is a link that might be useful: My square foot garden blog

• gardengoodies
    15 years ago

That's exactly what it is. I had some black tights that I won't be wearing again, so I cut them in strips. When (if) the melons start to grow, I'll probably use regular pantyhose to make slings for them.

• istheremeaning
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sarah - You were right I did have something nibbling on my melons. I found the cucumber beetles having a mating festival last night all over the melons, pumpkins, squash, zucchini and the cucumbers. I squished all that I found and went out this morning and squished the ones I found hiding in the blooms. They were mating as well. I read that they lay the eggs in the soil 10 days after mating so hopefully my squishing will save my veggies. I am going to use the garlic spray I made for the aphids and see if it works if not I will try making some of those trap cups I read about from searching "cucumber beetle" in the forums on here. If anyone knows that squishing will be enough to control them chime in and let me know your technique ie. evening, morning or all day? to hunt them down.

• istheremeaning
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just made a separate post on the cucumber beetle so we could keep this post on topic sorry I diverted it to the cucumber beetle. I just wanted to say thanks for prompting me to look further into those little nibbles.

Here is a link that might be useful: my square foot garden blog it has my garden layout and pictures comments are welcome!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting