Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beginnerkelli

how high should i make my sugar snap trellis?

beginnerkelli
14 years ago

i've been searching online, but i'm still stuck on how i should make a trellis for one square foot of 8 sugar snap pea plants. i'm not sure how high or how much netting/trellis the plants need.

any pics or advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)

• lilion
    14 years ago

My sugar snap peas are making pods now and are every bit of 4 feet tall, even falling all over each other, as I just put up some horizontal strings for them to grow on. I'd probably go 5 or 6 feet tall with your trellis. Wish I had done a "proper" trellis for mine.

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

My peas get a 3 foot trellis of horizontal twine. They only grow that tall. Check the package for growth height info.

Good luck!

• jeremyjs
    14 years ago

I'm just using those small cheap wire tomato cages that are absolutely useless for tomatoes stacked 2 high. Seems to be working quite well and is pretty cheap.

• Holly DeVito
    14 years ago

Mine are over 6 feet tall and still going strong. I had to extend my trellis from 5' to 8'

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Mine are close to 4" tall I think right now (taller than last year). Last year, I used pea sticks (tree branches) and this year I used short sticks becuase I had them under plastic early on. I put a section of folding garden fence behind them when the plastic came off. They are now more than a foot taller than the fence and but they have pretty strong stems and are holding each other up, and look like they're doing fine. They just need a little support.

There are pictures on my blog - see the link below. I have 4 sf for the peas. The center squares were started early and the outer squares much later. I think if I only had 1 sf, I'd go with pea sticks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• stevesj76
    14 years ago

I would go with about 5 feet. I grew some two years ago that got that tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar snap peas

• albanach
    14 years ago

Mine are over five feet and looking heavy - my first batch which were on horizontal lengths of twine suffered quite a bit of storm damage.

The ones using nylon netting and a five foot trellis are doing much better. If I was starting again, I'd make the trellis at least a foot higher.

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone! i just read that my pea vines can grow 6-8 feet! i had no idea!!!i guess that means that i can't use my cage anymore, as it's only about 3 1/2 feet high.

i am thinking of putting two electric conduits in opposite corners and tying vine accross, horizontally and vertically. think that will do the track?

• albanach
    14 years ago

That'll work if there's a lateral support - otherwise I suspect your conduit will be pulled inwards and down by the weight of the peas.

You could use some sort of guy-lines and stakes to try and keep them upright, but I think a couple of conduit elbows and a lateral beam will be the better option.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I don't waste time, money and resources on single-use trellisi. I do the EMT conduit thing and my trellisi are 6-7 ft high. The twine arrangements change according to the crop going up them.

Dan

• carsonsig
    14 years ago

mine are easily 7 ft tall.... build it high.. if they dont use it, your greenbeans will....

• beginnerkelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i got sick of agonizing over what i should do for this SINGLE SQUARE of sugar snaps so i just bought a tomato cage and i'm going to tie horizontal pieces of twine between the rings. i hope that'll do.

my hubby is in the process of making a nice 4'x6' trellis for our tomatoes and cuke plants. next year i will ask him to make me another one and plant more than one square of the peas to make it worth our effort.

if anyone is looking for nylon tomato netting (the kind mel uses in the book for the trellis), you can buy it from the square foot gardening site by the foot. i had a hard time finding it around my way.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/index.php/Garden-Shop/Nylon-Netting/flypage-ask.tpl.html

thanks for the responses, and happy gardening everyone! =)

• Holly DeVito
    14 years ago

When I went out to the garden this evening, I was thinking of this thread so I "measured" my peas, I'm 5'9" and when I raise my arm all the way up (probably making it 7'9") my peas are WAY above my fingertips. Better make it TALL!

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Turns out I was wrong about my pea trellis...
    They were standing straight and tall with nice thick stems but when the wind kicked up today, I found the bloom-filled tops bent over the top of the little fence. I got them trellised up higher and I think they'll be ok.

They have definitely grown bigger this year than they did last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener