Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daves_girl

Problems with cukes & melon vines

daves_girl
14 years ago

Hey Everyone -

I haven't posted in a while, but I've still been checking in and reading. I'm hoping someone can help me identify what is going on with my cucumbers and watermelon vines. My cucumbers were covered in blooms, and I've harvested 4 cucumbers to date, then the blossoms and tendrils started shriveling up. The vines themselves look green and healthy, but I haven't seen a bloom in at least a week, although there is new growth starting on one of the vines.

One of my watermelon vines has started having blossoms die too. Although I've only seen the problem with a few blooms. The rest of the vine looks healthy and has lots of blooms, and there are 2 good size watermelons growing (see last pic).

The boxes are filled with Mel's mix. I've used a fertilizer once a month. I water every other morning, and up until now, I've not really had any problems except dealing with aphids on my peas and flea beetles on one of my tomato plants, both which I think have been remedied. I'm posting pictures below. If anyone has an idea of what's going on, I'd love to have your input.

Thanks,

Kym

Cucumber 1:

From garden pests

Cucumber 2:

From garden pests

Watermelon 1:

From garden pests

Watermelon 2:

From garden pests

Watermelon 3:

From garden pests

Watermelon 4:

From garden pests

Comments (11)

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

Hey there, girlie!!! How's it going across town. We're having the same thing as you are so it's not localized to you. I'm half thinking it's the heat. All of my cucumbers looked like this last year. I started late and they never produced.

This is right about the same time. I don't have many new things growing and the old are slow and sometimes bitter. I honestly think we're winding down for the summer where everyone else is just gearing up.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Corner Yard

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

In the watermelon pictures that show brownish growth on the stem end - that's where a male flower has died. No problem at all.

EG

• daves_girl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ribbit and EG. I was trying not to freak out :) I've kept a close eye on everything, and I've been really fortunate as far as pests go (so far), and I've had some type of harvest of everything that has been planted - beginners luck ;) My dh even ate green beans from the garden!! I've had a great time with it so far, and can't wait till it cools down and I can plant for the fall!! I'm looking forward to harvesting corn, watermelon and cantaloupe soon!

• stephanieftx
    14 years ago

I was going to say that's what my dead watermelon flowers look like after a couple of days, especially those little girls who didn't get pollinated. No worries on that! Can't help with the cukes, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

• jengc
    14 years ago

Daves_girl, mine are doing that now. I thought "that is the males dying. I know that because it was asked on Garden Web!" No, this is not a commercial for garden web.com LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• susancol
    14 years ago

Hey,

I'm in the neighborhood too, but don't have this problem. That's because my garden is in partial shade, so everything takes longer for me. I've been soooo jealous of Ribbit this month. But now I'm finally starting to catch up. I even had enough eggplant to give away some this week. Woohoo!

I'd agree that the really high temps we've had the last couple of weeks have been frying your blossoms quicker than normal. But we have some relief in the forecast for next week, so I'd expect your problem will work itself out. Although for your watermelon, 2 large ones growing may be all that one vine can handle until you pick one.
    Hang in there and feel free to gloat that I'm jealous of your two watermelons, too. :)

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

Don't be jealous! Just plant more :)

Actually, I was worried about only getting 4.5-5 hours of sun, but it seems to work well in this ridiculous heat. Things are winding down for me and most of my vines are dying back. I'll be jealous of you in a few weeks while I'm biding my time for fall planting!

• daves_girl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm waiting for fall planting too Ribbit. Not patiently, but I'm waiting...

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

daves_girl, things are REALLY starting to die back over here. My cukes are dead half way up the vine and not putting out more flowers, I've ripped out my bush cukes and beans, my pole beans are done for, two zucchini plants have no new shoots and my melon leaves are browning before their production is complete which has me nervous.

Yes, we get to start early here in GA, but we end early with this stinkin' heat as well. I'm nostalgic already, and the season's not done.

Quietly, so the garden won't hear...this won't be such a bad thing if most is done by the end of July. We leave town for a week the last week in July. If most of the summer garden is done, I won't feel guilty about leaving it. Shhhhh....The garden has ears.

• daves_girl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My next planting of bush beans is just starting to flower, so I'm hoping the heat won't kill them. The melon vines are still flowering like crazy, but the melons don't seem to be getting any bigger. My cukes attempt to grow blossoms, but they never mature and open, and the vines aren't getting any longer. My beefmaster tomato has been the most productive of the tomato plants. Both pepper plants had stopped blossoming, but have started again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my corn will be edible. The first crop has cobs, and some are very close to harvest time. I am soooo ready to try some.

• nanhop1
    8 years ago

glad I found this site my cukes are doing pretty good I have harvested about 14 from my one vine. although now the leaves are wilting and cuke grow slowing. melon vine is yellowing and wilting. I have seen a lot of squash bugs and suspect possible vine borers. just not sure

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting