Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realyrosey_gw

Cross Pollinated Runner Beans

realyrosey
9 years ago

Hi all,

I don't post often but I do lurk around for good advice and experiences, which I find often and am always so glad when I can find an answer to any one of a few hundred questions.

I gardened in PA many years ago using conventional methods but, when recently retiring to WV, I started the SFG method. This is just no work at all and each year the soil responds better. The second year was a flood of tomatoes and this third year is my bean and corn (mostly) year since I needed some things that didn't need such close attention.

The first and second year, my runner beans didn't start to come in till the end of July. This year, much to my delight, I'm already seeing little beans, a month ahead of usual. When I was planning my garden, I thought how pretty it would be to plant my Scarlet Runners with Sunset Runners on each side. Well, of course, I didn't even think about the fact that they would be cross pollinated, so I guess I'll have a brand new type of bean seed next year. (It'll be interesting to see which prevails.) The Sunset Runners seem to be an earlier bean than the Scarlet Runners and I was wondering if the cross pollination would have been the reason that the Scarlet Runners are producing just as early. Thanks to anyone with experiences or knowledge on this one. With any luck, I'll wind up with a runner that produces earlier for my area---if it's that simple.

Comments (3)

Sponsored