Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqftsteve

Applied chemical fertilizer. Are we doomed?

sqftsteve
14 years ago

We ran into the same problem as others - slow/stunted growth and yellow leaves. Who knows what's really in the store-bought compost. Frankly, some of the compost I bought didn't look any different than the $1.28/bag topsoil I used to level the garden. I wanted to stay as organic as possible, but relented and used some chemical fertilizer (I couldn't find fish emulsion/seaweed locally, and Ma was getting a bit panicky).

Here's what we used. It looks to be very similar to Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food. I don't have a control bed so there's no way to know if this is responsible, but our plants are looking much better in the last couple of weeks. I found this at Home Depot. According to HD's website, there is also a version specifically for vegetables, but I didn't see it on the shelf.

Is this really safe to use on our crops? If so, should I just use it continuously every couple of weeks until the end of the growing season?

I hope this doesn't mean that I'm going to go to some sort of gardening hell when I die.

{{gwi:1277461}}

{{gwi:1277462}}

{{gwi:1277463}}

Comments (4)

• sqftsteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention what crops I'm talking about. Off the top of my head:

carrots
    tomatoes
    brussel sprouts
    eggplant
    collard greens
    kohlrabi
    romaine lettuce
    mesclun
    spinach
    zucchini
    green onions
    radishes
    red cabbage

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Is this really safe to use on our crops?

Why wouldn't it be?

Nonetheless, I don't care for that analysis and the analysis isn't really one you should be applying to your crops, and that's way to much N for tomatoes and too much for my taste for the zuke, but your leafy cool seasons will appreciate it. You're better off going to a nursery and getting a better analysis & saving that fert for the annual bed.

Dan

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

If you were in total control of the nutrients available to your plants, there would be considerable advantage in ensuring nutrients were available in the exact ratio plants use them in, unless you were intentionally trying to manipulate nutrients to achieve targeted growth characteristics. An example of this manipulation might be using a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer like your 24-8-16 early in the year on your tomatoes to promote top growth and get the photosynthesizing machinery in place before cutting back to something like a 2:1:2 or even a 1:1:1 ratio after the plant is well-established. Simply reducing the available N reduces the amount of vegetative growth, but since reducing N does little to slow photosynthesis, the plant still has all that photosynthate that's NOT going into vegetative growth to channel into bloom and fruit production.

You don't mention where you live, so it's difficult to know how far along your plants are, but I don't think the 24-8-16 can be too far off the mark when you're using a 'shotgun coverage' approach. It comes the closest to supplying nutrients in the same ratio plants use them of any other common ratios I can think of.

Below is a chart of the average of how plants use nutrients. I gave Nitrogen, because it's the largest nutrient component, the value of 100. Other nutrients are listed as a weight percentage of N. To read the P level comparison: For every 100 parts of N a plant uses, it will use from 13-19 parts of P. The average is 16 parts of P for every 100 parts of N, or plants will use about 1/6 as much P as N. The ratio of nutrient usage as a function of where the plant is in its growth cycle changes very little, and various plant parts (leaves, roots, fruits, blooms) will contain roughly the same amounts of the nutrients.

N 100
    P 13-19 (16) 1/6
    K 45-80 (62) 3/5
    S 6-9 (8) 1/12
    Mg 5-15 (10) 1/10
    Ca 5-15 (10) 1/10
    Fe 0.7
    Mn 0.4
    B(oron) 0.2
    Zn 0.06
    Cu 0.03
    Cl 0.03
    Mo(lybdenum) 0.003

Al

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I agree with Al's overall reply, and the question was whether the fert with that analysis was OK to use throughout the season. I reiterate and clarify both replies to say that something else is needed and that fert won't do thru the summer. That is: stop using that fert and get something else to carry you through. The toms don't need that much N etc.

Dan

Sponsored