Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finally, SFG boxes

Posted by jodikay mn z3 or 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 18:51

Last year I convinced my hubby to make me boxes. We bought the wood and then nothing happened. This spring, I got a bit (jut a bit) demanding and he finally put them together. I am very happy and so far mostly so good. I already have ideas to change things around. And he promised to build me one more box. All of my boxes are 4x4x12. Because it is next to the house, it had to look good, He was adamant about that :-).

Photobucket
asparagus 15 crowns, probably have about 20 spears or so up. there is a bare spot if you look close enough.

Photobucket
2 kinds of potatoes, yukon gold and a red (i think). i was so late getting my boxes that they were really picked over. not sure that 2 kinds in a box is a good idea. i am wondering if they shouldn't have more dirt in the box. i think there is only about 6". is it too late to add more? or are they ok as is?

Photobucket
june and everbearing strawberries. today i noticed runners so they need to go. the box isn't full so i might keep some of the runners for extra plants. is this a good or bad idea? Lucy is watching. thankfully, my cats, have not used the boxes for bathrooms.

Photobucket
broccoli and cabbage. they are huge but now something is eating my cabbage. bought some BT but i read i probably should have covered them. is it too late to try and cover them? i guess i have more reading to do! 4 squares not used. what a waste of space.

Photobucket
peppers, celery and beets. not happy about this box at all. can't seem to grow beets no matter which garden they are in. i wanted beet pickles but i think i will only have enough to eat. should have planted more peppers and no celery (cheaper to buy it i think).

Photobucket
3 kinds of onions, carrots, kale, radishes, spinach and letter mix. oh year, one egg plant. thought it was worth a try. i was reading somewhere about a lettuce bowl. i sort of like that idea better than this. i have 4 squares not used. not sure what i was thinking.

Photobucket
here is an overall pictures. my husband and i spent a full weekend on just the boxes and then a full week working on our backyard. it sure looks better than the dirt that was there!

thanks for looking. any input is welcome since this is my first foray in sfg. i also have a big garden out in our front yard that has corn, tomotoes, cukes, and squash. i have been canning more these last couple of years so i am not sure how much canning i can get from sfg, especially with the carrots and the beets. the cabbage is for suaerkraut.

Jodi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finally, SFG boxes

Beautiful !!!

Don't know the answer about the potatoes. I think yes on using the strawberry runners to fill in your empty areas. I do not know the answer on covering the cabbage, we don't do cabbage.

Your 8 empty squares ... plant bush beans !! Make sure they are bush, not the kind that have to be trellised. They can also be stagger planted every couple weeks if you choose so you don't get all of your green beans at one time.

We need pics of the front yard garden !!

o

You don't say how much space between the beds but I like a min. of 3ft. between mine. 4ft for the things that stretch outside the beds when growing. You'll know more as things grow OUT.

I do like the mulch around the beds. So many people want grass right up to the beds. Be careful the mulch doesn't harbor ants (or termites) so close to the house.

It looks good to me. I think you will like this way of gardening.

I think gardening is one huge experiment. There is always next to to improve on things. Be sure to write any ideas or changes for next year in your garden book.

Else you will forget IF you are like me.

obtw- which way is the sun coming from?

o

Hi, thanks for the comments. They face northwest. The sun starts to hit them about noon or so. I have grown vegetables before just not in sfg boxes so this seems strange. I poked my finger in my potatoes and felt one. That was a relief! Picked a radish last nite, small but sweet. And its been fun to just pick a few strawberries. My husband says I worry too much! Now, if it would just stop raining. Nearly every day it has stormed. Today is no exception.

Jodi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here