Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rj_hythloday

Garbage bag Potatoes

rj_hythloday
14 years ago

I tried the garbage bag method w/ some store bought potatoes that had sprouted. I planted them in March in about 3" of compost. After some growth I started to roll the bags up and stuff w/ straw. One of the plants got 2' tall really fast. One died about a month ago w/ no apparent cause, it was in the middle. The shortest plant was snapped in a rain/wind storm. I stuffed the bag w/ straw to support it, and the snapped main stem never showed any symptoms from it.

A few weeks back I noticed the leaves were browning and had some holes. A few days ago the top of the tallest plant completely disappeared. I decided the experiment was over, the biggest had a huge hole ripped in the bag, I put small holes in the bottom of the bags, but this was a foot around and very rough. The top of the plant was completely gone. The large potato and the smallest ones fell out. The rest came from the smallest plant. The plants never flowered.

Next year I'll build a box, and use all compost instead of straw. All of these were found in the compost in the bottom. None in the straw. I'll also use a known late season variety. Probably french fingerling, and I'll start them in February.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES