Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqftsteve

Anyone else growing kohlrabi?

sqftsteve
14 years ago

Best. Vegetable. Ever.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into these guys. Cubed, boiled until tender, served with a little butter as a side dish.

The ones I find locally are usually large and woody, but these should be perfect. Mmmmmmm, life is good.

{{gwi:1277973}}

{{gwi:1277975}}

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/user/sqftsteve

Comments (8)

• walkerjks
    14 years ago

I grow a few (1 sq.ft.). It's a lovely vegetable raw, but we just don't need all that many of them. If we get 4 to 6 good ones a season, we're happy.

• cha_cha
    14 years ago

I love kohlrabi! Here in Tucson it's a winter crop so I won't have any for a while. It's quite yummy in stir fries or sauteed onions, broccoli and other veggies then tossed with pasta and cream sauce. MMMMMMMMM

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockin' the Garden

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

I just bought a packet of 'Early White Vienna' seed for 10 cents so I thought I would give them a try this fall. I have never grown them before. Can you give me some advise? Do you eat the greens too, or just the bulb? The greens look very tasty. Your post and pictures make me look forward to them all the more.

Good gardening, Mary

• hellbender
    14 years ago

I grow kohlrabi every year. I like them raw with a little salt. They taste like a sweet cabbage core and are crunchy (which I like). They like moist, rich soil. They are better if grown quickly so keep them well fed and watered.

• sqftsteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary,

This is the first time we've grown them, so I can't give much advice on that part, except to suggest that you harvest them early. Just how early, I don't know, but when they get too big they start getting "woody" in consistency.

As for eating them, it seems that a lot of people like to eat them raw, which I don't really care for. When you cook them, they seem to take on a different mild flavor.

The way we prepare them is to dice them into little cubes (1/4" to 1/2", it's not critical) and boil them in water until they are soft and no longer crunchy (check with a fork). They'll turn a bit translucent. Then just drain, add a bit of pepper and salt, and serve as a side dish. We normally have them alongside meat, such as a nice sauerbraten. Cover them with some of the gravy and enjoy.

If you've never tried them cooked, give it a shot, it takes almost zero effort to prepare. They're absolutely heavenly.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/user/sqftsteve

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Mary

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

I grew one of the "giant" kohlrabis this year. Kossack I think was the variety. They grew to 6 inches in diameter before I started harvesting. I just cut them into snack sized slices and take them to work. Very crisp and tasty. Lots of fun to crunch on.

• bryanb1
    14 years ago

I grow it every year, at least 3 squares. Generally have very good success. I also like it raw with a little salt. The leaves can also be boiled as greens.

Sponsored