Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interplanting Plans/Ideas

Posted by anthonyjames (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 20:49

I have not done any interplanting and am very new to it. Right now I have a few plots that are 20 x 40.

Plot one I have the following:
Note all rows are 2 ft wide
Row is 1 is on the North end of the plot and runs East/West
Row 1 - Corn = 20 ft row and planted 4 seeds every sqft to equal 160 seeds
Row 2 - Corn = same as above but not planted yet (next week)
Row 3 - Corn = same as above and planting in 3 weeks
Row 4 - Big Beef Tomatoes = 6 plants in the 20 ft row
Row 5 - Roma Tomatoes = 6 plants in the 20 ft row
Row 5 - Cherry 100's = 6 plants in the 20 ft row
Row 6 = Herbs ( 2 Basil, 2 Sage, 2 Greek Orgeno)
Row 7 = Stringless Bush Beans = 4 per sqft and plan on planting these in 8 sqft sections every 3 weeks until row is full.

Plot 2 Runs same direction as Plot 1 except each row is 40 ft long

Row 1 - Sugar Snap Peas = 8 per sqft (Planted 16 square feet and planned on spacing out the remainder of the row to 16 square feet every 3 weeks until it is at full length)
Row 2 - Green Straight Neck Squash = 4 Plants, Carrots = 16 per sqft (Approximately 8 ft long x 2 ft long row)
Row 3 - Yellow Straight Neck Squash = 4 Plants, Carrots = 16 per sqft
Row 4 = Radishes = 16 per sqft and planting them in same time frame as Peas above.

Plot 3 I have not started yet but planned on Pumpkins, Butternut and Acorn Squash and maybe some other melons if I get to them soon.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interplanting Plans/Ideas

If you can do your corn in blocks instead of rows, you'll probably get better pollination.

You are working on a bigger scale than most of us, but you'll find we're all a bunch of planners. I'd guess some of us probably enjoy the planning aspect the most. ;)

I don't have a written 2010 Garden Plan. I've let my strawberries go wild, and I'm ramdomly interplanting zinnias, beans, whatever in their bed this year. I find I miss gardening in the ground, I miss getting lost in rows of a big garden plot like my Grandmas, and I miss crazy out of control vine patches and zucchini plants. I'm very jealous of your 20 x 40 plots :)

I'm inspired by the wild, lush, and delicious looking garden pictured in Great Garden Companions By Sally Jean Cunningham.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 SFG Plan

o
RE: Interplanting Plans/Ideas

tornado,

Well I am trying to start a small produce outlet for a Family Farm I work for on the weekends. They asked me to put something together and I was looking at high yeild prodcuct for the most part plus some corn. I have 3 plots that they tilled for me. But I would like to add more to see how much produce we can get in the store area or at the entrance to see if we can get other people to come and purchase other than people visiting the animals.

I will look through your plan for last year.

At home I have a couple of sqft gardens but nothing major. I am trying to figure out potatoes right now. Just seems like a lot of wasted dirt and trying to do my research and fingerlings look nice to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here