Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs

Posted by newbie468 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 20:54

Hello all,

This is my first year gardening and so far it is going well. I have been dreading the arrival of bugs though and now it appears the time has come.

I was out applying compost around my plants about an hour ago and stumbled upon three large, white/clear grubs with a brown head/mouth. I tossed them out immediately and have quickly learned that they are beetle larvae that eat the roots of plants, is that correct? Everything in that bed seems to be doing fine besides a sugar baby watermelon plant that is taking a while to get going.

Should I worry about the grubs? If so, how should I get rid of them? Nematodes/neem oil/etc? Thank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs

The grubs probably migrated from your grass/lawn. They aren't an issue with vegetable plants (except for maybe corn).

Rodney

o
RE: Grubs

I have to disagree with Rodney, grubs *can* be a real problem. I learned the hard way when they killed some of my plants. The roots were eaten and totally disturbed (tomatoes, peppers, basil, etc.) There were dozens and dozens of them under each plant- a shovel full of soil would yield a frightening amount of them, more than I could simply pick out. The problem is when there are too many grubs, one here or there won't do damage and I guess they help break things down in the soil. We don't even have a lawn area anywhere near the garden for them to migrate from (and have never seen any sign of grub damage in the front lawn.)

Nematodes are the answer for me. We have insane numbers of Japanese Beetles burrowing into the soil and laying eggs. I have to do something to control them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here