Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I ruin my tomato plant?

Posted by becky07 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 21:14

I waspruning my tomato plants tonight (they are about a foot high) and got carried away. I pruned off the top of the plant where it grows upward. Did I ruin it or will it develop another path to grow from?
I have another I can transplant there if need be, but this particular plant is very healthy and growing so well, I hate to have to ditch it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I ruin my tomato plant?

I accidently pinched the top off of one of mine this year and it will continue to grow. It will send out a sucker and continue on like nothing ever happened. It may take a little while before it does send off a sucker if you have pruned all of the branches and plucked all of the suckers already but it will continue to grow.

o

also if you like that particular kind, stick those in water, and they'll root really easily, (if ya want more to plant) and heck, befor long, you'll have some more plants, i did that last year, and i had tomatoes later in the year than when my original plant had died off. it was really neat! ~Medo

o

thanks for the answers. I was just sick when I realized what I had done, which of course was within nanno seconds after I did it!

I never thought about trying to root is, I was so upset I threw the whole handful of suckers on the compost pile and just walked in the house. I have a couple iffy plants, maybe I will just root a few to have on hand in case I need them.

Thanks so much for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here