Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First attempt at squire foot gardening

Posted by CitrusWeekendWarrior 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 22:30

Hey everyone!
I would like to thank this forum for giving me great ideas for my garden. I normally visit the Citrus forum.
I've always kept a raised bed garden since I could remember. This spring I tore apart some pallets (Ones that were NOT chemically treated) and built a single bed that replaced 2 bed smaller beds.
With the dirt from the smaller beds it still took another 2 cubic yards to fill it. The bed is 10' X 10' with a "Key Hole"
Total cost of the project, 4 Saturday mornings and $60 (Not including seeds and plants)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First attempt at squire foot gardening

A 2nd angle

o

Hey, I just started my first SFG.. My son wants me to be a "purest" and I would like to be for the first year anyway. I have Mel Bartholomew's book on SFG. I am using Mels mix. although it was rather expensive to start. I am also starting another new venture. vermicomposting. I made my bin to day and ordered my red wigglers.
I do have a few things coming up and trying to plant a second crop now. Dealing with white flies coming from a row of Confederate Roses that they like very much !
Gotta run and get dinner on. Maybe I can post a photo of my SFG. I am also a scrapbooker so I have photos from start to now. but I wont post all that. Mine is not nearly as large or plentiful as yours. !

o

Very nice. Doing much better than my first one. I like your design.

o

• Posted by slowjane LA CA USDA10-Sunset (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 16:05

very nice! ;)

o

Thanks for the compliments! I'll have to post an updated pic. My garden has really taken off since the I started this post.
Maryann, from what I've read, the main investment in sfg is the soil.... Aside from time of coarse. But good soil will make great plant.

I would love to see pics of anyone else's take on sfg.

o

i tried to start a thread to see some folks' gardens - below....

yolos posted lots of great pictures - her garden is beautiful. and bountiful!

but it's sure been quiet around here - i remember it came up in a thread awhile back that people always post pictures of their brand-new sfg plots - but it's harder to find pictures of what a sfg look like mid-season....why i wonder? maybe people are attracted to the neatness of sfg - and the craziness down the line is difficult to deal with so they don't post pictures? i know my tomatoes are nuts right now. of course i stopped pruning them after spending too much time over in tomatoes....so i can't even tell which is which at this point - the branches are totally intertwined lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: How is your garden growing? (pics)

o
3rd year of SFG

I think your SFG looks beautiful, but I wonder how easy it is to access all the veggies once they are ready for harvest. Here is my current pic, 3rd year in. I am thinking about getting certified as a SFG instructor for next year.

o

My first attempt and everything seems to be happy. I used Mel's mix to start off and today added some Tomato-Tone to the tomatoes and Blood meal to the rest of the plants. The corn seems to be turning yellow at the base, hoping the blood meal will help with that, any other suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here