Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of ants

Posted by lowraine (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 22:53

If you have ants in your garden, yard or in your kitchen, I have the answer to getting rid of them. Corn meal, yes, corn meal. Someone shared this with me knowing I had had ants in my kitchen for several months. After buying several of the little black boxes that are sold everywhere I was at my wits end. Within 24 hours of putting the corn meal on the back side of my cabinets my ants were gone. How, they can't digest the meal. They carry it back to the nest and share it and they all starve to death. Hope this helps others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of ants

I will definitely give this a try... We have terrible ant problems every year and ant pellets can be really expensive. This would be a good cheap solution.

o

Remember though, unless they're biting ants or are eating your crops, ants are benedicial insects in the garden. The house and yard are a different story, thanks for the heads up!

o

ants are all over my zucchini and in the zucchini flowers. are these usually beneficial ants ?

o

Likely. If you see damage to your plant, it could be ants indirectly. They sometimes introduce aphids to plants to farm their secretions.

For the record, I've got ants all over my garden. I've learned to live with them.

o

I've learned to live with the ants, as long as I don't see a mound or discover a nest. I try to apply DE or dry molasses when I see the mounds or nests. I think they've been responsible for most of the pollinating going on in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

o

I have a square foot garden made of stones. Ants had built a nest in one of the sides and a square, where I wanted to plant some beans. I did not want to use a poison (e.g., diazanon). My wife had an excellent suggestion. Just pour a pot of boiling water over the nest. Worked great.

Bryan

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 17:23

ants all over my okra, and aphids so thick you cant see the flowers, they get on the immature flower buds and they are a mess.

Other ants in my garden (around a particular squash plant) did something I would have paid them to do...they ATE a SVB grub before it made it's way into the plants main stem..Saw a bit of frass and went exploring, I ended up cutting off the leaf where the worm first went in, the ants came pouring out..but after disecting the leaf stem (and seeing that no actual hole was made into the main stem, there was NO grub...ONE for the ants there.

I'm going to sprinkle corn meal around my okra plants and leave the squash ants alone, anyone know how long corn meal will hold up (ie what if it rains etc).

o

I've ant's in two of my beds... mostly beneficial... I like the corn meal idea... I've also tried Aspartame with some success, but I wouldn't use that around my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harmony In A Redneck Garden

o

I hope that corn meal works to get rid of ants. I put some down because I read that it helps reduce the late blight that has been infecting NE with all the rainy weather (I have not seen any signs of it but just hoping to head it off). I figured that it could not hurt and if it got rid of some of the ants that are around that it would be a bonus. I just hope that I'm not just feeding them, they were definately carrying lots of it away.

Good gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here