Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandrakclev

nylon netting source?

sandrakclev
17 years ago

I'm square foot gardening for the first time this year and am having trouble finding nylon netting. None of the gardening centers in my area carry it. Does anyone know any other sources (or another product that might work)? I was thinking of fishing netting, but don't know whether it would work or not. I'm trying to keep costs down, but I figure nylon netting will last for some time so it's worth it. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Sandra

Comments (23)

• torontoontario
    17 years ago

They sell the netting at www.squarefootgardening.com.

It is the one with the 7 inch openings recommended for SFG.

• dirt_tracker Alabama Zone 8A
    17 years ago

Heirloom seeds also carries it (look under supplies):

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/main/index.html

"(TR2) NYLON GARDEN TRELLIS
    The perfect way to save space in your garden. Let the crops grow up, off the ground away from harmful insects and disease. 7" by 7" openings are great for tomatoes, cucumbers, peas or beans. Also great for climbing flowers. Just fasten to poles (not included) and it's ready to use! Can be cut to any length.
    5 ft. tall by 30 ft. long.
    Price: $10.00 "

Ed

• junegem13
    17 years ago

I found it online at
    http://www.enchantingsweetpeas.com/pages/supplies.html#Anchor-Trellis-41363

I thought their price to be the best of the ones I had found, as it is 7' as opposed to 5' like most others. My bed is a bit under 4' wide, so I cut a piece about 4' wide and used the 7' high... goes futher in the end! :) shipping was only $3.00 I believe. Received within a week.
    Becky

• junegem13
    17 years ago

Should have added prices for enchanting sweet peas site...

7'x12' $7.95
    7'x20' $9.95
    7'x50' $19.95

Becky
    (what happened to edit feature?)

• username_5
    17 years ago

oooh, 7' is great. Wish I had seen that before getting the 5'. Makes more sense with my 8' t posts. Adding bookmark for next year ;-)

• username_5
    17 years ago

scratch that, it is fishing line netting (plastic) rather than nylon. Wouldn't use that stuff. Too thin and too weak in my experience. Have seen it in the store.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Many Sources Here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources for 7 inch spaced Nylon Trellis Netting

• mtjalncah
    15 years ago

I'm late to the game, but this website has 6' wide for a great price, in case anyone is interested.

http://www.nylonnet.com/merchandise/?item_id=4826&cat=560&top_cat=&cat_nav=&sub2_cat=

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

gurneys also carries the nylon netting.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Anyone found any more netting at local stores?
    I'd hope it would be more common to find locally...

• rlkennerly
    15 years ago

I live in a small town in East Texas, and I was surprised to find that one of our local farm supply/feed store carries the nylon netting, but none of the big box stores carried it. I also learned that this particular store also stocks vermiculite. Of course, I found this out *after* I had 5 bags of vermiculite shipped from out of state. argh! I learned an expensive lesson about calling *all* of the farm supply stores before ordering online.

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

• luke3026
    15 years ago

My local Home Depot has netting for about $4 for a 5ft x 15ft section of net. Walmart also has netting for about the same price around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

• angela12345
    14 years ago

Here are some sources & prices (2nd number is shipping) that I found ...

http://www.nylonnet.com/search/?search=trellis
    .21 / foot - $18.00 + 6.60 - nylonnet - 6 ft x 115 ft - they also have available 7 x 100 and 8 x 80 sizes for the same price

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/category/trellis-netting
    .62 / foot -- $ 5.95 + 3.41 - gardenharvestsupply.com - 5 ft x 15 ft - have it shipped US first class mail
    .43 / foot -- $ 9.50 + 3.41 - gardenharvestsupply.com - 5 ft x 30 ft
    .28 / foot - $13.50 + 3.41 - gardenharvestsupply.com - 5 ft x 60 ft

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/index.php/Accessories/View-all-products.html
    .76 / foot -- $ 7.50 + 3.95 - Square foot garden - 4 ft x 15 ft - sold by foot (buy only how many feet you need @ .50/ft)
    .32 / foot - $12.50 + 3.95 - Square foot garden - 4 ft x 50 ft - special price on 50 foot section

Do It Best Hardware - you can have it shipped free to your local affiliated store
    http://doitbest.com/Plant+stakes+and+trellis-Dalen+Prod.-model-TP-15C-doitbest-sku-754919.dib
    .62 / foot -- $ 9.29 + 0.00 - Do It Best Hardware - 5 ft x 15 ft

• matrixman
    14 years ago

I got mine at amazon.com if you buy at least $25 worth shipping is free. Do a search for trellis netting.

• angela12345
    14 years ago

matrixman, I can not find that one on Amazon. Would you post a link please on the one you got or give more info on which one it was. I can find several different nettings by different mnufacturers, but none with free shipping over $25. Thanks !!

• matrixman
    14 years ago

Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Trellis Netting

• gardennutjoe
    14 years ago

Absolutely the best source I've found is www.leevalley.com For $9.50 you get 175 FEET of 56 inch wide soft weave nylon trellis netting with the typical 60 lb strand strength. A heck of a lot better than .50/ft (would be a total of $87.50).
    And, the shipping isn't too bad...cost me 8.00 to Virginia.

• rachel597
    14 years ago

Great thread! Thanks for posting all these sources and price comparisons.

Thanks to this thread, I purchased 4 ft x 50 ft from www.squarefootgardening.com for $12.50 + 3.95 S&H. It arrived this week, but I noticed that its no longer appearing on the website.

gardennutjoe: this is a great price! Thanks for sharing.

Here is a link that might be useful: GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

• gardennutjoe
    14 years ago

OOPS! It has been pointed out to me that the net from lee valley is 175 inches and not 175 feet. On my monitor it looks like 175' but if I look really close it is indeed 175" which I think is purposefully misleading because on one else I know uses inches for lengthwise measure. I'm canceling my order immediately. I'm sorry, I was so excited about the good deal that I just had to share. I hope I haven't caused anyone any trouble.

• paully1
    14 years ago

I just picked some up at Lee Valley Tools. They ship everywhere. Price is $9.50US for 56" x 175". I am not sure about the shipping, since I picked mine up at the local store. You should check out their whole gardening catalog. Some things are pricey, but the selection is really cool! (And no, I don't work there!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis Netting at Lee Valley

• angela12345
    14 years ago

So, I ended up buying mine at Garden Harvest Supply that I mentioned above. It was the next to the cheapest per linear foot, so for $16.91 (including the shipping) I got 5 ft x 60 ft nylon trellis netting (instead of paying $24.60 for 6 ft x 115 ft which comes out to less per linear foot).

This was the right height for my trellis (5 feet) and I cut off the length that I needed. It was plenty for myself and I will be able to share some with my mom next year when she does her garden and I will still have plenty leftover !!

They were great to work with ... I ordered late Thursday evening, they shipped it on Friday, and I received it by Monday (I think it was Monday, maybe it was Tuesday). You can also receive a discount coupon if you post a good comment on Dave's Garden ... http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5032/

Here is my first ever garden (!!!) . . .
    {{gwi:1274576}}

• P POD
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting a photo of your garden; your black pipe set-up is great. Mighty strong, would probably survive a hurricane.

These two nets are identical products with different names:
    Trellinet Usually they have a greater selection, so they're probably out temporarily of some widths and lengths.
    Hortonova 250 feet will cost you $70, shipping included.