Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pulpo_gw

Best permanent SFG boxes?

pulpo
15 years ago

I am looking to build SFG boxes that are as close to permanent as possible and would love to hear any suggestions.

My first thought - and it's a crazy one - is having metal boxes custom fabricated. Assuming the cost is even close to feasible when weighed against the aesthetics (my tastes are unique) and never having to take the time, energy, and money to replace a box; my concern turns to the heat that the metal may absorb from direct sunlight. Would this potential heat be significant enough to stress the roots?

Another thought is to construct hypertufa (rock garden) boxes. They seem to be second to metal in durability - although the book CREATING AND PLANTING GARDEN TROUGHS says their lifespan maybe as short as 10 years (I hope that is for climates with more freezing and thawing than 8b) - and there would be less heat attraction.

Lastly, I hear ipe is very long-lasting. Any thoughts on it?

My main goals are for the boxes are durability, appearance, and function. I am also considering elevating them (on four legs) to keep my pets away and to reduce the strain on my back. The cost is not as important to me as the above criteria but it is obviously a factor.

In my sick mind, I envision dozens of elevated metal boxes coming out of my ground with monkey grass planted beneath them and some sort of cobble path weaving its way throughout the layout.

Comments (10)

• sparks5478
    15 years ago

Before I had a whole big enclosed garden, I built an L-shaped planter box out of Trex (4x6x8 wings, 4x4x12 center box). 7 years later, it looks as good as it did on Day One, no noticeable wear-and-tear at all. The other boxes I built (four 4x4x10s) are out of cedar, only because Trex wasn't available in that width and I wanted one solid piece. The cost of Trex vs cedar was almost dead even.

Here's a pic of part of the box.

• pulpo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for that wonderful suggestion!

How is the cedar holding up?

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Be careful with Trexlike product. It bends and warps when not supported with minimum 16 inch joists (how they were intended to be used). That said though epxpensive they are almost permanent.

I use pressure treated wood for my beds, which are 16 inches tall. My brother's used the stuff for 10 years and it's still holding up great.
    Good luck finding what suits you.

• fishymamas
    15 years ago

Mine are cinderblock, painted to "match" the house, no warping or rotting, we paid a few nice men to stack them 2 blocks tall, like legos, and to fill the beds, and off we went. Most likely the roughest way on your back, but we'll be here 20 years untill retirement,so it was worth it to never do it again.

• barrett_j_att_net
    14 years ago

I know it has been awhile since you posted but I am considering building my boxes out of galvanized sheet metal. I believe that these should hold up the longest in all climates and should not "Bake" the plants any more than a regular box should because the walls of the metal are so thin and should dissipate heat quickly. I have gotten a bid to be custom built for around $250. What do you think?

• jeremyjs
    14 years ago

Stone, or decorative cinder blocks will last a long long time. My mom has some stone flower beds she built before my sister was born a little over 21 years ago. Whoever told you they'd last 10 years or less is full of it. Those beds will probably last longer than you or I.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I have a 300 sf raised bed made out of Allan Block. I suspect it will outlive me (40-something).

Dan

• markmein
    14 years ago

Mine are steel with a nice rusted patina. They were welded and have 1-inch "angle iron" along the top edges, facing inward, to give a nice-looking lip. The steel looks great and, from how long derelict car bodies last, should last a very long time. The steel has a nice functional aspect, too. It seems to warm the soil quickly and I can readily secure the edges of cloche covers with magnetic strips. Two of my beds are rectangular, one is square, and the other two are pentagons.

• jeremyjs
    14 years ago

I think on average in an area not near the ocean and doesn't get tropical amounts of rain steel will loose about .005-.007 inches per year. Of course if it's painted, plated, or powder coated it'll last much longer.

• markmein
    14 years ago

Jeremy - You got me wondering, so I tracked down the info you posted. NASA has a site that lists some test results in the link below. Our climate is probably pretty close to that of Esquimalt, Vancouver Island, BC, which has a corrosion rate of 0.5 mils a year. I like that alot more than 5 mils a year! Thanks for raising the issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel corrosion rates

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012