Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygardner

Before and After - I'll show you mine if.....

gabbygardner
14 years ago

I was looking through pics with my kids a couple of days ago and came upon some pics of my garden beds, from the very early part of the season. My kids were dumbfounded at the difference. I was to, honestly. It wasn't very long ago I started my seeds in my one bed covered with plastic to "greenhouse" the seedlings. I then moved them around the beds. Looks a lot different now!!

Here are mine; I want to see yours!!

May 20, 2009 (I had transplanted or direct planted most beds by now)

Today: Sorry about the boat in the corner;)

Let's see yours!!!

g

Comments (12)

• angela12345
    14 years ago

I planted my transplants on May 19. The before picture was on June 7 and the after picture is July 28.

• angela12345
    14 years ago

P.S. the front right squares in the after picture look empty, but if you look carefully there are tomatoes in there ... I pruned the lower branches. And yes, the tomato next to the vertical support bar about 6 squares in is growing out past the top of the after picture (as are the branches on my neighbor's bush in the background).

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's great, and I love your trellis. I will keep that in mind for next year:)
    g

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I just posted my month in review post (click the link). It's hard to get a good overview photo of my garden, so it's more select plants for the month.

I also have a similar post for June in the archives to on the right side of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• angela12345
    14 years ago

Thanks ! I wish I could take credit for it. It came with the house when we bought it and we moved it over to the garden. (we think they used it to stack firewood)

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Angela, I asked my husband for a trellis, but not something that looked out of place in my garden (which I try to keep organic). He came home with all of these willow branches, as you can see below. They work great and I love how they just fit in. Yours is awesome, some metal, but still looks nice with the wood. I love that you re-used something else. Something like yours may work even better for next years cukes.

Greenbean: Your garden looks great also. Do you keep your rows covered always?? I am just curious, I have heard a lot of people talk about covering.

Thanks for your pics, I love to see the progress!!

g

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I don't keep everything covered - just this past week it seems. I tend to leave the beans covered a lot of the time (the ends are open) since they don't seem to mind and it's less to cover when a storm comes through. We are in a very hail-prone area and have had a lot of storms lately- that's why so much is covered right now.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That makes sense. The red cabbage in the pic just above was in a horrible hail storm early in Spring. I didn't think they would even make it as they each had maybe one or two leaves left and those were all pock marked from large hail. But, as you can see, they are doing great.

Plants are tougher than I think we give them credit for;)

g

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Mine got beat up by pea and marble sized hail a while back but recovered fine. We've been lucky to escape the bigger hail so far. I think I got more paranoid after the storm in the link below. Scroll down and click the link to the Facebook album - it's not pretty. I'm not exactly sure where he lives, but these storms kept rolling through Colorado and it's hard to guess what those dark rumbling clouds will actually bring. As the plants get closer to harvest, it feels like there's more to lose.

Here is a link that might be useful: RMG storm thread

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is terrible. I can't believe the damage done. So sorry for those losses.

I worry very little about the weather here, but I do worry about our neighbor's goats!! They have been very bad about eating my gardens in the past. I have not had much until this year, when my husband built the beds, but I think I would die if they came and ate it now.

I agree, much more to worry about at this stage!! So far they haven't gotten out this year, I think partly because I yelled pretty loudly last year:(, I do feel bad, but what can I say. It is hard work to have eaten in a 5 minute stretch because they won't fix the fence.

We are going to put up a fence this fall around our 1/2 acre, so I won't have to worry. But, I knew I had one precarious year;)

Good luck with yours, marble sized hail sounds horrible.

g

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I think goats could do a lot worse than most hail storms! Hopefully they stay where they belong.

btw, I like the stick trellis. I was using sticks earlier for some pole beans & one cuke but turned out they weren't quite dead yet & started to sprout! They might be dead enough now.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny, we got that too!! We were very surprised as we stored them for a while before sticking them in the dirt, but yep, here come tons of leaves on the sticks and they are trying to put out roots!! Gotta love that tenacity!!

g