Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Did I make a terrible mistake?

Posted by erin4 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 1:37

Hi, new here, been lurking and searching for info as I just completed building and planting (some of the squares, since I got a late start) my sfg beds. In my search for 4-5 compost sources, I used quite a bit of cotton burr. I also used mushroom, humus, and "manure". I've been a little nervous with the cotton burr because I can actually see little pieces of cotton in it. I did a search on here and read conflicting info on this stuff when used in a veggie garden. I now have a 4'x8' and 4'x6' plus two half-barrels with this stuff in it. Please tell me someone else has used this stuff and not had any problems!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Did I make a terrible mistake?

never heard of it but wish you luck

o
mljklj

ps stop whinging you have not failed yet.

o

There are two kinds of cotton burr. The stuff that comes from cotton that needs defoliation with chemicals and the kind that doesn't. Cotton from West Texas isn't sprayed with chemical defoliate because the early frost does the job of killing the foliage. I use the West Texas composted cotton burr as a soil amendment for my clay.

o

shebear - thanks for your response. I really appreciate it!

o

If it's compostable, then it's fine. Bravo on the chemical response though, I try not to put things treated with chemicals into my compost. You should be fine as the stuff will break down over the next year or two. Enjoy your garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden

o

• Posted by erin4 5b or 6? (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 15:23

Thanks sinfonian for the encouragement. I decided not to worry about it. I'm going to try to get picks of my sfg beds on here soon, so I can get some feedback. You all are so gracious and helpful on this site - I just love it!

o

Per EPA all chemicals put on cotton must be biodegradagle in at a month. I am going to make lots of it, live just miles from several cotton gins, to make compost for the planting of shrubs for wind/dust breaks. For veggies will use in bales. It is just the two of us old people and food production is done with the awareness of if it is cheaper to buy product from local stores or use the well water which comes out of the hose in chunks and high in salts. Good luck with you endevers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here